which is more important? capture card or capture software???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sc0rp10n
    • Jul 2003

which is more important? capture card or capture software???

hi all. 1st post here. i've been reading through the forums and i'm a little confused and can't find the answer anywhere. here's my situation. i've got a new computer being delivered tomorrow. yah! i'm going to be getting a tv tuner card b/c i do watch alot of tv when i'm working/playing on my computer at home. now, i do have the requirement that i need to be able to capture VHS video at least once. my wife and inlaws want me to convert our wedding video (VHS) over to DVD.

i was thinking about getting the ati tv wonder. i see that it can capture in mpeg-2. i've also got nero 6 ultra edition (bought today). will this combination of hardware/software allow me to capture my VHS wedding video and burn it to DVD in good quality? i know the quality will never be better than the original VHS source, but will this card allow me to capture the video with little to no degredation???

can anyone straighten me out?
  • kimomakano
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jun 2002

That question begs a lot of different answers since there are so many options to choose from. My experience has been the software can make or break the card.
    I have an ATI AIW card that is definitely not state of the art anymore but works fine. What I have found is that switching from the packaged software to another product did make a huge difference in the quality.

First I capture in .avi format using VirtualDub.
    Next I convert to mpg using TMPGEnc.
    Next (if I want menus and chapters) I make the video with DVD Workshop.
    Finally I burn the disk with RecordNow (I always to a test on an RW disk first).

There are probably "better" software and cards out there but the above gives me a quality DVD that I am completely satisfied with.

Comment

Working...