Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe10steelers
    • Jul 2003

Wierd DVD Problem

I have no problems playing bootleg DVDs or "old" DVDs on my laptop using powerDVD. The "newer" DVDs are not even recognized by my DVD rom. Does this have to do with copyright or something? Its wierd that some DVDs work and some dont. I have noticed that the ones that dont work dont have the normal CD bottom but is kind of wavy(hard to explain). And have a yellowish tint to it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Joe
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"And have a yellowish tint to it."

The "gold" tint is indicative of a "DVD 9", double-layered (NOT double-sided) DVD - which has 9.4Gigs of space available in two layers, as opposed to a "DVD 5", single-layered DVD - which has 4.7Gigs of space available in one layer.

Your drive may not be capable of handling DVD 9s - although that would be unusual. How old is your version of Power DVD?

Comment

• joe10steelers
      • Jul 2003

Its version 2.0

Like I said the CD Rom Drive wont recognize there is a cd and when I press play on the powerDVD it tells me "no disc or invalid format on CD" SO I think it's my drive. Thanks for the explanation, it sounds right. So any suggestions other than getting a new DVD ROM drive?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"So any suggestions other than getting a new DVD ROM drive?"

Considering that this will only cost you about $35 or $40 US, it's probably your best bet...

Comment

• joe10steelers
          • Jul 2003

damn, thanks.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"damn, thanks."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...