Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomash
    • Jul 2003

Question about .AVI filesize.

I want to know how big would be an uncompressed .AVI file with the following specs:

Lendth
    256 minutes

Video
    29.97 frames/sec

Audio
    MP3 codec
    192bits/sec
    Stereo
    44KHz

I expect to recievea new 120GB HDD within a week, so as long as the file is smaller than, lets say, 110Gb, it's OK.

PS
    Tell me if you need some additional information.
  • kimomakano
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jun 2002

Off the top of my head I would say it won't fit.
    If I recall when I capture AVI files it takes about 30gb per hour of video. Considering that your file is 256 minutes (over 4 hours) that would take at leaset 240gb (8 x 30).

Comment

• tomash
      • Jul 2003

256 minutes is 4 hours and 16 minutes, so if one hour really takes up 30GB, then 4 hours would take up over 120GB
      Anyways, I could do it in segments. Capture two hours, encode it and then capture the rest later.
      Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• kimomakano
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Jun 2002

Your right, sometimes my math gets messed up. As I was calculating the reponse I was thinking 30 minutes for 30gb (thus the logic 8 x 30).

So given on the average I need 30gb per hour it would come to about 120gb. Like you mentioned, if I find myself needing more space I do it in chunks and then merge the files together after converting them to mpg.

Comment

• tomash
          • Jul 2003

Great! Thanks.
          I remember when I was capturing video with FRAPS, and few mere seconds were taking up like 300 or 400 MB.
          Thanks again!

Comment

• ChristianHJW
            matroska project member
            • May 2003

Considered using HuffYuv instead of uncompressed ?
            Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

Working...