X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhawke
    • Jun 2003

XVID Special Setting & Resize Filter

Hi!

I have a few questions to the XVid settings. Please regard that the outputed video should fit on one CD. (700 MB) So of course what i want is the best settings for 1:45 h movies.

1. should i use lumi-masking??

2. What settings should i use for the Alt. Curve, shall i use it at all?

3. which resize filter should i use?

Up to now, i've tried the Billinear. Does anybody recommend something else?

I've had some troubles with backgrounds. I backuped a 1:45 h movie. The quality was good, except for scenes with blue sky in the background. The background almost looked like a mosaic.

Which setting was wrong there?

Thanx for some help!
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Re: XVID Special Setting & Resize Filter

1. should i use lumi-masking??

It is up to you. I don't personally use it because I feel that: 1) it decreases quality while not improving compressibility much. 2) 800KBps (the bitrate that the video will likely be using) is good enough.

I recommend that you carry out encoding with both lumi-masking on and off, and determine which suits your tastes more.

2. What settings should i use for the Alt. Curve, shall i use it at all?

Avoid it.

3. which resize filter should i use?

Lanczos, with Bicubic coming in second. Bilinear is not recommended since it blurs out the video very noticably.

The quality was good, except for scenes with blue sky in the background. The background almost looked like a mosaic.

What other settings (B-frames, GMC, QPel, etc.) did you use? What playback filter (XviD, FFDShow, etc.) are you using to play the resultant video?

Comment

• rhawke
      • Jun 2003

hi! thanx for the quick reply.

I have used the BiCubic Neutral but thought that the picture was too sharp. Then i used the Billinear and thought that the output was better. But what about the BiCubic Soft. Is this an option?

the other settings where all the standard settings of the koepi xvid. i didn't change anything at all.

I'm not sure about the playback filter. I definitely have both installed. How can i check in BsPlayer which one is being used??

thanx again

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

"I have used the BiCubic Neutral but thought that the picture was too sharp. Then i used the Billinear and thought that the output was better. But what about the BiCubic Soft. Is this an option?"

I personally like the look of Lanczos (sharp and yet not "sharpened"). Well, each to his own. As to Bicubic Soft, it is probably just bicubic, but does not sharpen as much as normal bicubic.

"I'm not sure about the playback filter. I definitely have both installed. How can i check in BsPlayer which one is being used??"

Play the file in BSPlayer, righ-click on the video and select Properties. You will then be able to view the active filters being used to play the file.

Comment

Working...