How to compress an LPCM audio file in a VOB?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • starionx
    • Jul 2003

How to compress an LPCM audio file in a VOB?

I'm capturing video using WINDVR, which saves the file as MPEG2. Then, I convert the Mpeg2 file to VOB structures using Sonic MyDvd. When I view the VOB files using DVDShrink 2.3, I see that the LPCM audio file is a whopping 1.6GB, compared to the video which is 5.5GB. Is there any way of compressing the LPCM file, and what software would I need to do it?

Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I rather doubt that you're capturing LPCM audio using WinDVR - probably conventional Uncompressed PCM (.WAV) audio - which you can readily load into an audio editor, such as GoldWave, and readily convert to .MP3 audio...

Comment

• starionx
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by setarip
      I rather doubt that you're capturing LPCM audio using WinDVR - probably conventional Uncompressed PCM (.WAV) audio - which you can readily load into an audio editor, such as GoldWave, and readily convert to .MP3 audio...
      I would do that, but the original capture file gets saved as an mpeg2 file, so how do I get to the audio file from there (I'm new to capture recording ).
      Also, the only reason I say that it's an LPCM file, is because that's what DVDShrink says it is.

EDIT: Just looked at the audio options in WINDVR 3, and it says LPCM (there's an option for Mpeg1 Layer II, but it's grayed out).
      It also gives Sample Rate options -
      48.0 khz
      44.1 khz
      32.0 khz
      From Source

It defaults at 48.0 khz, is this what I should use?
      Last edited by starionx; 2 Aug 2003, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I would do that, but the original capture file gets saved as an mpeg2 file, so how do I get to the audio file from there"

if, for example, you're using GoldWave, open GoldWave and simply "drag and drop" your MPEG-2 file onto the primary GoldWave window. GoldWave should then automatically extract the audiostream.

"Just looked at the audio options in WINDVR 3, and it says LPCM (there's an option for Mpeg1 Layer II, but it's grayed out)."

This makes no sense, since the STANDARD audio format for MPEG-2 files is Mpeg1 Layer II.

Are you using "other-than" a purchased or trial version of WinDVR? If so, it may not be functioning properly...

Comment

• starionx
          • Jul 2003

"I would do that, but the original capture file gets saved as an mpeg2 file, so how do I get to the audio file from there"

if, for example, you're using GoldWave, open GoldWave and simply "drag and drop" your MPEG-2 file onto the primary GoldWave window. GoldWave should then automatically extract the audiostream.

"Just looked at the audio options in WINDVR 3, and it says LPCM (there's an option for Mpeg1 Layer II, but it's grayed out)."

This makes no sense, since the STANDARD audio format for MPEG-2 files is Mpeg1 Layer II.

Are you using "other-than" a purchased or trial version of WinDVR? If so, it may not be functioning properly...
          I bought the Adaptec VideOh Media Center USB 2.0, and it comes with Sonic MyDvd, and WinDvr 3, so it's quite legal.
          I'll have a look at some more settings, to see if I can change it.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"so it's quite legal"

Glad to hear that ;>}

I hope, for your sake, that it's not some type of "limited/light/special edition" - which is what you frequently get with "bundled" software...

Comment

• starionx
              • Jul 2003

"so it's quite legal"

Glad to hear that ;>}

I hope, for your sake, that it's not some type of "limited/light/special edition" - which is what you frequently get with "bundled" software...
              I was thinking about that, but all the features seem to work, and nowhere does it prompt me to upgrade... bizarre. I might look into this GoldWave program you mentioned.

Thanks Setarip.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Have you tried the following:

Open the Setup (Properties) dialog and select the Record tab. In the Record Quality settings, select the Customized radio button and then select DVD NTSC or DVD PAL as appropriate.

"Thanks Setarip"

My pleasure ;>}
                Last edited by setarip; 2 Aug 2003, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• starionx
                  • Jul 2003

Have you tried the following:

Open the Setup (Properties) dialog and select the Record tab. In the Record Quality settings, select the Customized radio button and then select DVD NTSC or DVD PAL as appropriate.

"Thanks Setarip"

My pleasure ;>}
                  I'm afraid I don't have those type of options. There is a screen that has -
                  MPEG2-SVCD
                  MPEG2-DVD

but of course they are greyed out as well.
                  I get the feeling the software isn't 100%, but the main features work.
                  I also managed to compress the audio file using TMPGEnc, so I'm happy.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"I also managed to compress the audio file using TMPGEnc, so I'm happy."

Glad to hear that you've managed to use a "workaround" ;>}

However, it's a bit disconcerting to know that you haven't been able to locate the "Properties" settings. The information I posted represents a direct quote from the publisher's site, so I've got to believe it's valid.

1) Are you sure there isn't a "Properties" option available from ANY of the dropdown menus (Usually "File", "Edit", "View", "Mode", "Tools", "Window", and "Help") - and no information about the topic available from the "Help" dropdown menu

2) If there aren't any dropdown menus, did you try right-clicking in the window?

Comment

• ramblingrose
                      • Aug 2003

Starionx is correct about all the limitations, as well as the LPCM audio. All options for record settings are grayed out except 2 preset templates. Attempts to customize do not work. According to Adaptec's advertising, as well as the supplied Help file, there should be several more preset templates, as well as the option of adding custom templates or modifying the included presets. The transcoding feature is also not accessible.

I am not new to capturing - I previously used PCTV Deluxe, and captured using fully customized settings with Pinnacle's software and Movie Mill. Unfortunately Movie Mill is not finding Adaptec's capture device. I will be contacting Adaptec, and hope to get some answers. If it turns out that they are intentionally locking these features, they are guilty of false advertising. That the hardware is bundled with 3rd party software is irrelevent - there are no options to purchase it any other way, and it should do what Adaptec claims.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

To ramblingrose

"According to Adaptec's advertising, as well as the supplied Help file, there should be several more preset templates"

Perhaps you're talking about yet a different program - because WinDVR is a product of InterVideo, not Adaptec...

Comment

• gchester
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Feb 2002

after capturing the mpeg use Tmpeg to convert to a DVD compatible MPEG2.. author as normal and if the file is to large use DVD shrink to make it smaller or if thats to much hassel use TMPEgs audio features and get it to convert to MPEG2 audio format you will save about a 1gig

Comment

• ramblingrose
                            • Aug 2003

Everything starionx and I have said is accurate - annoying, but accurate.

ie... "I rather doubt that you're capturing LPCM audio using WinDVR"
                            "Perhaps you're talking about yet a different program - because WinDVR is a product of InterVideo, not Adaptec..."

No. WinDVR is bundled with Adaptec's Videoh! Media Center. Adaptec intentionally limits WinDVR capability to use as a tuner/viewer, and as a PVR but only at (for NTSC) 720x480, MPEG2, LPCM audio. All the rest of WinDVR features are disabled. You can't customize recording settings or transcode. If you opt to purchase WinDVR separately, it cannot be used. To record using MPEG1 you have to close WinDVR and switch to MyDVD. Here you again have minimal options for settings, and still waste massive file space with LPCM audio.

Adaptec has set up their newest release to be totally propietary - overlay is disabled for all capturing software other than the bundle they provide. I've tried Movie Mill, PowerVCR, Studio8 and a few others. All can find the Adaptec capture device, but none can use it.

I have had a few discussions with Adaptec about these issues. Their "party line" is that options are disabled in the interest of simplicity. Yet the limitations actually make captures more of a pain in the butt. I'm not finished arguing with them yet, but do not really expect to get anywhere with it. If anyone would like to add their voice, maybe they'd catch on and have to acknowledge that their propietary setup isn't a good thing in the long run.

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

To ramblingrose

Well, you've just confirmed what I said earlier in this thread, to wit:

Comment

Working...