How to compress an LPCM audio file in a VOB?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ramblingrose
    • Aug 2003

For me, the problem isn't the limited version of WinDVR they provide, since I own WinDVR - full, from Intervideo. I expected to be able to use it with Adaptec's tuner if Adaptec shortchanged us on the software. The problem - and what ticks me off - is their intentional disabling of 3rd party software. With a library of good capture software (WinDVR, Power VCRII, PowerDirector, Adobe Premiere, Studio 8 and a couple of others), none can be used with Adaptec's capture device. All can detect it, but production of the necessary overly is disabled. I resent that kind of propietary setup; there's no call for it. And it doesn't strike me as smart business for Adaptec in the long term. It won't help sales, and ultimately it may hurt, particularly as time goes on and more consumers gain knowledge about video work and expand their personal software collections. Call me oldfashioned, but I believe people have the right to actually use the software they buy. This total lockout is nonsense - it's just plain wrong.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To ramblingrose

As my last input on this string, I would ask if you're running into your stated problems when trying to capture from commercial copy protected (Macrovision and other) sources, which I'm fairly certain is intentionally precluded by your Adaptec external capture device. The following description of your hardware, from the Adaptec site appears to indicate that you can only capture from TV, camcorder, or homemade VHS tapes:

"Adaptec® VideOh!™ DVD Media Center PCI Edition provides an all-in-one solution for watching, controlling and recording video and TV on your PC. The PCI card solution easily captures analog video from camcorders, VHS tapes, and digital media to convert into MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 (DVD) format. As a personal video recorder (PVR), Media Center allows you to record TV shows, pause, instant replay, fast forward and rewind, as well as burn onto DVD or video CD. It also includes Sonic™ MyDVD™ video creation software to edit, manage and burn video clips and photo slide shows.

You Control the Action!
      DVD Media Center lets you control how you watch TV. Simply activate time-shift mode and you’re ready to control live TV - Pause, Rewind, Instant Replay, Fast Forward, or Skip the boring parts.

Personal Video Recording (PVR)
      Use the included remote control to surf live TV or select programs to record. Access the online Electronic Program Guide to schedule recording of your favorite TV shows.

Digital Photo Album
      VideOh! DVD Media Center makes it easy to craft customized slide shows of your digital photographs. It takes just a few clicks to build, publish and burn your photo album on DVD or CD.

Enhance, Edit, & Burn your own DVDs and CDs
      Convert home movies (camcorders, VHS, Hi8, or existing digital media files) to DVD or Video CD format. Use the award-winning Sonic MyDVD software to create your own interactive DVDs compatible with your PC and most DVD players.

Highlights
      Watch & Control live TV on your PC
      MPEG-2 Hardware Encoding for Highest Video Quality
      Enhance your Video with Sound, Titles and Special Effects
      Burn TV, Home Movies & Photos to DVD & Video CD"

Comment

• ramblingrose
        • Aug 2003

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you. I just haven't been around for a while.

The issue isn't copyrighted material - it's what I said in my earlier post... Adaptec intentionally blocks the use of any other software for viewing or recording ANY media. The overlay is totally disabled, so that you cannot even view with other other software. This of course also eliminates recording. They leave us with exactly one option - viewing and recording with the software they supply, which is a restricted version of WinDVR & MyDVD. One of Adaptec's techs stated outright that this newest version is designed to be totally propietary. I'd have to guess that unless people complain enough to make a dent in their sales, this will be incorporated into their future releases.

I don't have a problem with them supplying a restricted version of the software. What I take issue with is that even if you're willing to spend the money on other software, it can't be used.

Comment

Working...