X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samifox
    • Jul 2002

MPEG import filter ; synchronization error

Hi

I have VCD whice i copy to my hard drive,rename it to *.mpg and i tried to open it with ultradub 1.5.1 to convert it into divx.

when i open it error appear :

MPEG import filter ; synchronization error

whats wrong?

Thanks
  • Oriphus
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Aug 2003

MPEG-2.. VirtualDub doesn't support it too well and Windows doesn't have MPEG-2 codecs by default. You can watch the clip with WinDVD or PowerDVD. Why do you want to make DivXs out of MPEG files?

Everytime you make conversions between lossy formats (video formats that lose quality/details in order to make the file smaller -- DivX, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, etc), the quality drops. So if you have DivX and you want to change it back to MPEG-2, the quality will be worse than in the DivX you've made from MPEG-2 originally. This can be demonstrated easily -- take DivX file with specific bitrate (like 1000kbps), encode it again to DivX with 1000kbps bitrate, take the result file and encode that again to DivX with 100kbps, etcetc.. Finally you have jerky messy thing with some colors moving in it and nothing that can be recognized -- each encoding drops the quality.

But if you have MPEG-2 files, normally (if downloaded from the Net) those are SVCDs and can be burned on 80min blank CD as SVCD and they should work with modern stand-alone DVD players perfectly.

***Just be informed that there is a Virtual Dub MPEG-2 mod for any MPEG problem you have with Virtual dub***
    Last edited by Oriphus; 8 Aug 2003, 08:57 AM.
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• samifox
      • Jul 2002

Hi

I buy movie that contains 2 cds so I want to make it one file with divx but I didn’t realize that the quality will be so poor.

I think I’ll stay with the original VCD’s. but I have another problem, my movie is a wide screen which very small in the TV,I want to change its aspect ratio to fit full screen TV, how can I do it with interDvd?

Thanks
      S

Comment

• Oriphus
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Aug 2003

Im sorry, I havent done that before. When i want to change the aspect i do it through my DVD players menu or the TV's. You miss a bit of the picture at the edges, but it is acceptible.
        http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To samifox

"I think I’ll stay with the original VCD’s. but I have another problem, my movie is a wide screen which very small in the TV,I want to change its aspect ratio to fit full screen TV, how can I do it with interDvd?"

If the movie is a commercial or burned VCD (as I understand you to be saying), you cannot change the aspect ratio though DVD player settings. The aspect ratio of a VCD is fixed and a DVD player can only present it one way.

By the way, what is "interDVD"?

Comment

• samifox
            • Jul 2002

Sorry i meant WinDvd of InterVideo

Comment

Working...