Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • plan9
    • Aug 2003

Technical Compression Question

I picked up a pioneer av105 and a netflix account about 20 dvd's ago. After I realized that Ritek media is the only way to go (damn the extra cost) I have had no problems with backups. I am happy with up to 30% compression but have stumbled upon something interesting that doesn't seem to be addressed on this bulletin board: dvd padding.

I backed up 3 dvd's today, with the following properties:

[movie] [time] [sound (size)] [size (total)]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Drugstore Cowboy] [1:41:18] [AC3-2 (136MB)] [5.71GB]
    [Secretary] [1:50:57] [AC3-2 (144MB)] [3.63GB]
    [Igby Goes Down] [1:37:57] [AC3-6 (306MB)] [3.95GB]

So it seems obvious to me that there is something fishy going on with the ultimate file sizes of these three movies. They are all about the same length, but Drugstore Cowboy is obviously much larger. It can't be the soundtrack as the files sizes illustrate. So what is it then? Is it true that some dvd's are padded? where/how do they do it? how does DVDShrink deal with it? Hell-what does DVDShrink compress anyhow, and in what order?

i should note here that I strip out everything except for the movie and the soundtrack. I don't care for menu's, i only speak one language, and I can't read (subtitles, har har har).

So much for my first post and my first 20 questions!

on a side note, I would like to express my gratitude to the author of the program... words alone cannot express how much I appreciate this program. I'd give you a hug if I could-- or a paypal donation even (and i'm a cheap bastard!).

thanks,

plan9
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

You'll undoubtedly receive more meaningful replies if you post your question in the DVD Shrink-specific sub-forums here...

Comment

Working...