Strange sync/display problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yossarian82

Strange sync/display problem

Hi, having some problems with some DivX-ed .avi movies. I have installed the DivX Pro 5.02 codec and the Radium codec (from Tsunami small pack). I've got a variety of movies encoded at two different audio frequencies, 48khz and 44khz. I use flaskmpeg to encode movies into DivX/Mp3 format. All movies were working fine previously but I had to mess with my system to get a game called Freelancer (thanks, MS) to work.

Problems:

1) Visual playback is bugged with several programs. With Media Player (version 9), Realplayer, PowerDVD and MicroDVD player the DivX visuals are very bad quality, like they are using an inferior codec for decoding. I had this problem before but Media Player always switched to the proper quality after about 2 seconds of playback. Now it does not. However audio is working fine (with former progs that is). I've used Codec Sniper to try and remove any rogue DivX codecs causing errors - no luck.

2) Audio playback is bugged with the only player i've got that displays visuals properly, namely DivXPro's DivX player. The visuals display the correct DivX quality, but all movies that are encoded at 48khz are experiencing a delay (say 4 seconds). I'm fairly certain that both 1) + 2) are caused by decoding errors as, strangely enough, VirtualDub is able to play all movies at proper quality with no audio sync problems. Of course VD is not exactly a player i wish to use, it isn't built for that reason so it doesn't have fullscreen playback.

3) Subtitle display has ceased working with MicroDVD now that I have installed more up to date drivers (sigh). Vid card i'm running is a GeForce4 MX440, with (i think) the most up to date drivers. Platform is Win2k btw. MDVD says there's an error with the overlay settings but i'm unsure as to how I might fix this.

Solutions:

DivX Quality: i haven't got a clue, i'm at my wits end here. I've uninstalled then sniped everything i can find, and upon reinstalling the DivX codecs I still get these dodgy visuals. I'd rather not format+reinstall OS, as i don't have a slave HD.

Audio sync: Re-encode audio on all 48khz movies to 44khz? Possible, but i'd like to find out why the problem is occuring, and this solution will take too much time (i have a few movies :/) I've tried different mp3 codecs - i doubt audio decoding is causing this problem. Perhaps if anyone knows of better playback software?

Subtitles: Re-install old drivers for vid card? Possible, but then that's not a long term solution, I may have to re-upgrade later on to get games working. Does anyone know of a player other than Micro DVD that supports subtitles?

any help at all much appreciated!
    Last edited by Guest; 10 Aug 2003, 05:15 PM.
Working...