Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redss
    • Aug 2003

help! missing codec in WMV file?

I have a WMV file that only plays audio (although I know it contains video), so apparently I need to find out what video codec is missing that I need to view it.

How do I find that out, & where do I find WMV codecs? I've done that for AVI but not WMF.

Thanks in advance...
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"where do I find WMV codecs?"

If you've got Windows Media Player (v.7.0 or higher, if I remember) installed, you should already have this codec installed.

If not, go to:

Comment

• redss
      • Aug 2003

Is there only ONE codec used in WMV as opposed to many used in AVI?

I can view most WMV files but not this one, although I can hear the audio - however I KNOW there is video there too, so I don't know why I can't see it - unless it is using a codec that is missing - and if thats the case I don't know which codec to look for (unless theres only one codec used in WMV...

Thanks...

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Is there only ONE codec used in WMV"

Yes...

"I KNOW there is video there too"

It's extremely apparent from your questions that you've not created thsi file yourself, so i would ask - How could you possibly "KNOW" it contains video, if you can't see it?

You've probably obtained either an incomplete, faulty, or phony download...

Comment

• redss
          • Aug 2003

The WMV file is the "Visual Studio .NET 2003 Guided Tour Video" from Microsoft - if you go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/pr...r/default.aspx then you will see it almost at the very bottom of the page - although it is labeled a WMV file on the left, the link is to a .EXE self extracting file that produces the .WMV file. So that seems to rule out incomplete, faulty, and phony (since the self extractor checks the CRC to be sure its complete)...

Maybe I could get you (or someone else) to download that file (if you have broadband) to see if it plays on your system, so that I will know I'm not losing my mind?

I have mediaplayer for winXP version 8.00.00.4487 and I confirmed that it plays other .WMV files. I'd like to see if there any other possible causes before I put in the effort of reinstalling media player...

Thanks...

Comment

• redss
            • Aug 2003

PROBLEM SOLVED! I reinstalled the WMV codec from the site you gave me, and now the video shows.

If there's only one codec, then maybe I had too OLD of a codec? I still would like to know how to find what codec (actually what version of the codec) is required, if its embedded in the WMV file...

thanks!

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"I reinstalled the WMV codec from the site you gave me, and now the video shows."

My pleasure ;>}

"I still would like to know how to find what codec (actually what version of the codec) is required"

It should be WMV2. Try loading the file into the standard VirtualDub - which will reject it, but also will identify the codec...

Comment

Working...