X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pi11ipe
    • Aug 2003

how to convert .mpeg to .rm

Hi ...
    I have some mpeg file and I want to Convert the file to .rm file, can anyone help me? thx
  • shiny#3
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jul 2003

The *.rm format is owned by the company that produces the realplayer....maybe you should check their pages for help!!???

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

I typed RM Conversion into Google and found TINRA (This Is Not Real Anymore) here on the DivX Download site. It converts RM to AVI, which is what I wanted to do. There were many other tools listed...perhaps you can find one that will go the other way thru google.

Comment

• WildmanJoe
        • Jan 2003

I've tried many years ago, to convert .rm to .mpg and it was a tedious process. TINRA is to convert FROM *.rm To *.avi. The process however is limited by the 2GB avi file limit and also the avi will be a uncompressed avi.

To convert from .mpg to .rm, I think you require this program called RealProducer.

Anyway, why would you want to use a crappy, inferior format like Real anyway? Although it's a 'small' format, you mustn't forget that the fps is chopped, the sound is mono... not really a format worth considering in the first place.

Try this as an alternative to RealPlayer:
        The Final Builds Site is a web-site with links to the latest free software, installation instructions, FAQ and more...

Look for real alternative.

Comment

• shiny#3
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jul 2003

the "solutions" provided in the above posts are good...
          if pi1 1ipe had asked for it!!

since the success of a commercial streaming technology
          ,as the *rm format is, directly depends on the offer of media
          files in the net, I am sure that "realone" developers will
          assist in creating streams for their program if you ask politely.

why using a codec or a program obtained out of doubtful sources
          if you can get support by the original developers as well?

Comment

• WildmanJoe
            • Jan 2003

That's cos IMHO RealPlayer is like the pits of the world player. It self-associates itself with all your files, irritating pop-ups in the player, adverts... Also, Real Networks will help you if you politely PAY for their program to convert media files to Real files.

The codecs or alternatives I listed are in fact, original Real files that were installed in your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real, 1 file that is in your Windows folder and a registry entry. So these are in fact not dubious or suspicious sources. They are just the key files that are needed for Real files playback.

I'm surprised that you Shiny, a Super member would be so naive to think that Real Networks would 'help' people out if they 'ask politely'. Like I said, they would, if $$$ is involved.

Comment

• shiny#3
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Jul 2003

I know that dollars might be involved and believe me
              I am aware of the fact that he might have to pay a few dollars.
              that has nothing to do with my naiveness ( which is one of my
              more loveable traits.)

but most professional or semi professional software or codecs
              involves money to be paid, doesn´t it?

the fact that you have the keyfiles in your system does not set
              you in the legal state to extract or use it or part of it for other
              purposes than displaying *.rm files in maybe other software.

but , if I get the original question right , this was not the issue of the thread.

I also can not imagine another plausible reasons for creating *.rm files than the one, that they are meant fo streaming purposes
              either in a local area network or the internet.

in this case chances are that you or better pi1 1ipe gets caught, and maybe gets in some trouble.

I also would be careful in posting links to kazaa related
              content in this forum since you can not be sure of all the content
              the link that you provided has to offer!!!!

Comment

• WildmanJoe
                • Jan 2003

Get caught? WTF (What-The-Fish)? The link I gave him is just a link to download files that are 100% legal. As to why it ends with a Kazaa is beyond me... if you have a website you could jolly well end it with osama or saddam if you really want.

I'm still surprised how you managed to get to Super Member status Shiny... I had always respected your helpfulness towards others. But after this thread, I'm even more surprised that you had gotten that status.

Btw, we don't have to pay for the real player right? Also, we are not modifying the contents of the real player codecs in our system. We're merely taking a certain part of that codec (while removing the rest) and putting it on our system to enable us to view Real files. Anything wrong with that?

Think before you speak Shiny... make that type

Comment

• shiny#3
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Jul 2003

dear "wildman" joe!!!

still I state that excerpting software should be according to the
                  licence agreement you did accept by clicking
                  "yes I accept" during the installation procedure of the realplayer software.
                  by the way ... the original issue of that thread was NOT
                  VIEWING *.rm files but encoding a file into IT.
                  "Hi ...
                  I have some mpeg file and I want to Convert the file to .rm file, can anyone help me? thx"

of course you do not have to pay to get the real player.
                  But for the encoding (NOT DECODING) algorythm there might be a fee to pay. if not so ... the better.
                  still I state that contacting the original developer might be of some help.... if there is an option to do so!!!

In the light of that I suggest you better reread the license agreements that you approved by clicking "Yes, I ACCEPPT"
                  while installing your version of real player.

It really might be that it differs from mine???? I don´t think so!!

this is not meant as an offence to you.....

.................!!!!!!

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To pi11ipe

Go to:

Boilsoft RM Converter is a real media converter convert .rm, .rmvb to avi, mwv, dvd, mpeg-1, mpeg-2, vcd, svcd, ipod mp4, psp mp4, etc.

Comment

• WildmanJoe
                      • Jan 2003

Dear Shiny, I'm not here today to argue with you over of all things, Real Player. Anyway I don't have Real Player on my current system and never will intend to get it either. So I never had any chance to read (much less bother) with the EULA.

I believe that I have answered the question on how to encode from *.mpg to *.rm. Whatever follows after that was merely my own suggestion/advice to pi11ipe on ALTERNATIVES to Real Player and/or Real files.

Comment

• Batman
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2002

Have you tried the Helix producer from real itself, it is free (unless you use the gui).

Comment

• Kevin AMD
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Dec 2002

I don't read all the things above because i was to lazy (sorry) but THE best program to do this with is Helix Producer (Basic or Plus) it's realy GREAT
                          Let's all try to help each other

Comment

• pi11ipe
                            • Aug 2003

thank's to shiny#3 and WildmanJoe for your opinions,
                            to Kevin AMD, I have that program but it is trial version, where can I get the full version ?

Comment

• Batman
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Jan 2002

Helix Producer is free (provided you do not use the GUI). There are many gui's for helix producer available free of charge (www.doom9.org, search forum and download section).

Comment

Working...