Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gixxerman
    • Aug 2003

Alright This is driving me insane

I updated to WMP9 and now none of my asf/wmv files that I recorded on my panasonic sv-av10 will play all the way through. This is killing me. I get a message saying they are corrupt and the player freezes.

Fix number one I used was to just use WMP2 that comes along wiht all WMP versions. Well this works but the player is extremely basic and has basically no functions.
    Well my lastest problem is I have got into editing the files with WMM version 2 and it is recognizing my wmv/asf files as being corrupt as well.

I did not have this problem with WMP8. I know this is a pretty common problem and I am desperate for the solution I have tried a ASF/wmv fixxer and it did not work, WME7.1 getts a error when trying to re-encode the files. I tried changing them to AVI and no luck there either.

Someone please help, I am going nuts from this
  • WildmanJoe
    • Jan 2003

If you had read this forum prior to installing WMP 9, you would have realised it is a UPS (Useless Piece of Software). The only way to remove it is to use System Restore or REFORMAT. Try BS Player or MV2 Player as an alternative.

The best free media player in the world. BS.Player™ is used by more than 70 million computer users throughout the world and it has been translated into more than 90 languages. It can download and playback any YouTube video and automatically download subtitles.

Comment

• gixxerman
      • Aug 2003

Thanks for nothing. I already said that I can play the videos with WMP2. but I can't get WMP9 to play them or Most importantly I can't edit them with WMM2

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

Are you XP? WMP9 only works with XP...otherwise the highest you can go is WMP8. If you are XP check for WMP9 updates.

Comment

• gixxerman
          • Aug 2003

done all that, how do I get wmp8 back, it worked fine? Without having to do a system resotre

Comment

• shiny#3
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jul 2003

Strange enough that my windows mediaplayer series 9
            works acceptable on Windows 98 SE.

to roll back to the originally installed Windows media player
            just uninstall it with the settings-> system (or what it might be in your case)--> software -->add/ remove feature of windows.

if you want to edit your ASF/wma files....
            did you try the ASF tools, which are on this site??
            also available here:
            Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

it also requires the windows media encoder (version 6.5 or higher) beeing installed to your system.
            check the microsoft homepage for that.

all tools are freeware as far as I know

good luck!

Comment

• WildmanJoe
              • Jan 2003

Correct me if I am wrong... There isn't any known method to 'remove' WMP 9.0.

Comment

• shiny#3
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jul 2003

Talking of WindowsXP and Windows ME you are quite right WildmanJoe.
                Though I heard of such strange methods to simply install
                another version of Windows media player and the remove simply both. I doubt that it works but stilll worth trying.

Windows 98 se users and windows 2000 user are really able to just uninstall it with the previously described method.

but now back to Windows XP:

I guess the most difficult thing about getting rid of windows media player 9 is getting rid of the watermark it places on hard disk.
                If you are able to remove the software components that windows mediaplayer 9 has installed to your system delete them.

to get rid of registry watermark:

run the command line:

type in regedit

refer to these keys:

HKey_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\microsoft\system certificates\CA\certificates\FEE449EE0E3965A5246F0 0E87FDE2A065FD89D4

HKey_Local_Machine\software\microsoft\system certificates\ROOT\certificates\2BD63D28D7BCD0E2511 95AEB519243C13142EBC3

Remove both lines and restart computer.

let me now how it worked!!!

Comment

• shiny#3
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Jul 2003

Did I mention to be very careful when messing with the regedit.

maybe another method works also:
                  depends on configuration
                  start the command line.
                  type in the one or the other of these lines:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall

or

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\windows\inf\wmp.inf,Uninstall

then execute it.
                  your machine will ask you to reboot..........

Comment

• lord_shar
                    • Aug 2003

Just curious... have you tried complete removal and re-installation of WMP9 and new versions of all related codecs? This works for me almost every time I have any playback or software association issues...

Comment

• gixxerman
                      • Aug 2003

I have tried removing and installing wmp9 several time and have no luck.
                      I am begining to think maybe my camera or SD card is corrupt and is corrupting the saved video's some how. They plave on the Windows player 2 though , and they played alright o wmp8, so I am lost.

Comment

• shiny#3
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Jul 2003

again....

have you tried executing one of these commandlines??

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall

or

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\windows\inf\wmp.inf,Uninstall

then reboot
                        let me now, please

Comment

Working...