X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reiss
    • Jul 2003

screen dumps from movies- win xp pro

hi
    i often like to hit 'prt scr' whilst playing a movie full screen to capture the image, then open up ms paint and edit - paste it as a new jpg or bmp.
    this worked fine on my win 2000pro but now i have winxp pro im getting some weird results. when i edit paste in ms paint i can actually see the moivie playing within paint!! and if i save it, the image is then just a black screen??
    i also tried opening photoshop, but when i go to edit, there is no paste option.
    i tried different methods - hitting 'windows key' then 'prt scr' but get the same results.

any ideas
    P4 3ghz Prescott
    1gb Kingston hyper x
    Radion 9800pro
    200gb sata
    Win XP Pro SP2 MCE'05
  • MPS
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Mar 2003

this is similar to what happens in games, where directx makes you see black screen only. in win xp i think this maybe this alpha blending thing it uses, though i'm not sure.

u see moving movie, coz the image u paste in paint transparent.

try finding (got googles? ) a video player which has a screen capture feature, so U wont need print scrn.

good luck

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

1) Load your MPEG-1, MPEG-2, or (DivX-compreesed or otherwise) .AVI into VirtualDubMOD (different than VirtualDub)

2) Move the slider at the bottom to the frame you'd like to copy

3) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Copy to clipboard"

4) For DVDs, use WinDVD to play - and press "P" to capture an image. Other software DVD players have similar functions

Comment

• Reiss
        • Jul 2003

thanks for the tips guys. but really, i would like to try and figure out why i cant screen dump the usual way any more when i've spent time, money & effort upgrading my PC. i expect my system to do exactly what i used to be able to and then some. not less.
        win XP pro aint cheap! and my screen dumping was limited to "ohh, that'll make a cool backdrop" every now & then from my huge Imax collection.
        P4 3ghz Prescott
        1gb Kingston hyper x
        Radion 9800pro
        200gb sata
        Win XP Pro SP2 MCE'05

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

If I remember correctly (It's been a Loooong time), you can "make it so" by simply turning off hardware acceleration...

Comment

• Reiss
            • Jul 2003

thanks setarip, i think thats it. i turned off acceleration, hit print screen & there it was. but of course, things are never this simple. watching my movies without hardware acceleration was just too crappy.
            P4 3ghz Prescott
            1gb Kingston hyper x
            Radion 9800pro
            200gb sata
            Win XP Pro SP2 MCE'05

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"thanks setarip, i think thats it. i turned off acceleration, hit print screen & there it was."

My pleasure ;>}

"but of course, things are never this simple. watching my movies without hardware acceleration was just too crappy."

Well, you can always "resort" to the other methods I've offered...

Comment

Working...