Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bilko5
    • Sep 2003

avi-dvd Help!!!

Ok can someone please help before i go a crazy!!

Right this is how it goes, Iv got a dv vid camera with Abobe prem 6.5, Iv made a couple of short films (5mins each) and iv transfered them to avi, I want to transfer them to dvd so my mates can play them on there cheap dvd players (i say cheap cos there not able to play vcd etc..) I have done a little bit of homework on this and have found out that i need to transfer them over to mpeg2 b4 i can cut them to dvd (i think??) so i have dloaded a program called TMPGenc which has done just this, I now belive i need to "author" them ?? I have got loads of other litttle tools like ifoedit, dvd shrink dvd dycrypter etc etc... Cant i just cut them to dvd disc as a vob file? How does it all work God its driving me mad cos there is so many diferant file types and dycripters to use AGGHHH !!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Bilko.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" v.1.5.11.37 (a different program than "TMPGEnc) to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• kimomakano
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Jun 2002

Re: avi-dvd Help!!!

.....Iv got a dv vid camera ....Bilko.
      Okay, maybe I missed it (and I apologize if I am misunderstanding).
      Are you using a "digital" camera? If so, why are you capturing to AVI?
      If I am mistaken and you are recording as "analog" then setarip has provided an excellent workflow.
      Last edited by kimomakano; 6 Sep 2003, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To kimomakano

"iv transfered them to avi, I want to transfer them to dvd"

I've simply responded to this (compound) statement...

Comment

• kimomakano
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Jun 2002

to setarip:

My question wasn't for you, but for bilko5. I was simply trying to decipher if he used a digital or analog camera. I am not sure why you feel you need't to "respond" to me? I thought I made it clear your instructions were very good?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I am not sure why you feel you need't to "respond" to me?"

Probably because I read the initial version of your post - before you revamped it...

Comment

• bilko5
              • Sep 2003

lol Hey you guys! Thax loads for responding to my post, Ok yes i was talking about a dv video camera not digi (take pix) cam, Iv transfered the pure dv footage and eddited it using Premier, Then i trasfer to avi, then to mpeg2 (m2v) so now i want to transfer it to dvd I Dont need to auther this film really or add titles i just want to stick it on dvd-r disc so i can play it on a standalone dvd player (video_ts vob files) but nero wont let me its needing a mpeg plugin? which costs cash! AGH!
              Its all good fun huh boys!!
              Im gratefull for all your addvice. Will check posts at 1600hrsgmt as iv now got to go drive a bus for a living. sniff
              Thx Bilko.

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

I guess it was the Adobe Premier that threw us. A $500 editing program is a bit much on a busman's salary. You could have used ULead Video Studio7, captured in MPEG2, "smart rendered" without compressing the DV, built the VIDEO/AUDIO_TS files for a Nero burn for $90 software package.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Regardless of the fact that you don't want/need menus, etc., after using TMPGEnc to convert your .AVI(s) to acceptable DVD format, you've still got to "author" your files in order to create a DVD. Therefore, follow the procedures I intially detailed for you...

Comment

• bilko5
                    • Sep 2003

"A $500 editing program is a bit much on a busman's salary"
                    Thanks. But its not my editing program and not my Video Camera. Thanks for your help all the same.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"Thanks for your help all the same."

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...