Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pixelrage
    • Sep 2003

What vid capture unit do you recommend?

Hi, this is my first post here -- I'm looking to get a video capture unit (preferably under $500) that will do a great job of helping me convert my VHS's to DVD's. My main focuses are to:

-Get high quality files from my VHS's
    -Eventually put them on DVD's
    -Capture from VHS's that are rather old (early 80s) and sometimes jittery
    -I also intend to use smaller clips for internet viewing.

I currently have the Dazzle DVD Creation Station - it is awful for this as it either skips frames, mismatches audio and video, and crashes the computer after about 30 mins of use...also, it refuses to capture any of my really old VHS material. I was looking into the Pinnacle units, but I've heard nothing but complaints about them as well....

I am looking at the following unit - Canopus ADVC100

...does anyone have any experience with it, or recommend it?

EDIT: I'm using a 2.8 Ghz P4, 1 gig ram, 280 Gig HD space, Nvidia 5200 AGP x8 card

Thanks for reading all of this & for your help
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

I love my Dazzle DVC-150, but am reluctant to recommend it to others now that Pinnacle has shut down the Dazzle forum since they bought them. The bundled software sucks and to get top performance you need to use work-arounds. But that doesn't matter...you're probably going to have a problem, anyway, with those old tapes. They may have demagnetized...and if so they'll capture jittery (they may play jittery, too. For a lot of those old series I had on VHS (ie.COSMOS) I could find newly mastered copies at the library that looked a heck of a lot better than what I had. But if your tapes can't be found, and they have demagnetized they need to be remastered ( most professional video stores can do this.)

Comment

Working...