Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Katreena
    • Sep 2003

avi and divx files

I was wondering if anyone could help me I'm kinda new to all of this but every time I try to play a avi or a divx file the audio and video are always out of sync and I already have divx installed in my computer is there something else I need to install? or do you think I have and out dated version of divx?
    Thanks for the help
    Katreena
    oh yeah what's the difference between avi and divx?
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

It could be due to your (presumably slow) CPU being overtaxed. In that case, you can try setting your desktop to a lower resolution (800x600 or lower) and post-processing filter to the lowest. Post-processing filter setting can be accessed by playing a DivX file in WMP 6.4 or BSPlayer, or any other players that allow access to the decoder settings.

FFDShow, which is capable of decoding DivX contents and takes little CPU power, comes highly recommended as well. Simply download and install FFDShow, go to its Configuration dialog -> Codecs tab. Enable the entries for DivX 3/4/5 and any other compression types you wish FFDShow to handle.

What's the difference between AVI and DivX? AVI is a container format for video and can use the many different compression algorithms available. DivX is one such compression algorithm. It would be correct to say: DivX-compressed AVI.

Comment

• Katreena
      • Sep 2003

thanks for your help but my desktop is already set at 600X800 so I guess I should just download the other thing you were talking about thanks!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...