Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I should add that I have a few CD-RW discs that I bought back in 1999. They still work perfectly alright (and I use them regularly for back-ups).

Comment

• vik_pa
      • Jul 2003

is there anyone who has reached the limit of the number of times you could write to cd-rw. if so what was the final count?

Comment

• WildmanJoe
        • Jan 2003

Wow... you had a burner in 1999? What was the speed of the CD-RW back then? 1x or 2x? I'm surprised that you still use those... maybe I'm wrong about throwing them away... lol

Comment

• WildmanJoe
          • Jan 2003

Sorry just read vik_pa's post on the limit of the no. of times... I remember my burner died before I could reach the limit of my CD-RW. I burnt around 500++ CDs before it died though.

Oh yeah, vik_pa, just stick to what you have now and don't worry about your cd-rws giving up on you. You'd probably have a DVD burner before you even reach the 100 mark. And TRY the 99mins CDs, they're good stuff I tell you.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

WildmanJoe,

I had a 8xWrite, 4xRe-write drive. Pretty expensive at that time, even if I bought it at OEM price.

And I was wondering; how do you know when a CD-RW disc has given up its ghost? Does it refuse to be erased? Does it refuse to be written on? Or, worse, does it splinter into thousands of tiny pieces in the drive?

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

I have a Ricoh MP6200S CD-RW I picked up in 1996...it was priced at more than I've seen internal DVD burners going for nowadays. Still works (knock on wood).

Comment

• WildmanJoe
                • Jan 2003

To Enchanter,

Did this happen to you or are you asking for the fun of it?
                I only know as much as I have read so I didn't really mean to 'boast' about my limited knowledge. As far as I know, if it refuses to be written/erased, it's like what BoF has mentioned, the disc is useless. As for splintering to thousands of pieces, well I tried it by slamming it side first onto the ground. It broke into 10 or more pieces...

Comment

• Livewire
                  • Jun 2003

I use my CDRW media like I would reagular CDR media.
                  Faster to write and erase everything then a bit at a time.
                  Mostly they are usefull for backups (Which you would overwrite newer ones with) or for writing junk too temporarily as they are too slow.

Why can't you get 52X CD-RW media? Maybe because nobody uses it.
                  Government throws more money at a problem, so it looks like they are making a difference.

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

WildmanJoe,

Of course I meant the last question as a joke, hence the sign .

Livewire,

"Why can't you get 52X CD-RW media? Maybe because nobody uses it."

I would love to get my hands on one. My drives can do 24x CD-RW, but the best media I can find around me goes up to 12x -RW only (which is a pity, given how much time I can save by being able to re-write faster).

Comment

• WildmanJoe
                      • Jan 2003

Oops, my apologies Enchanter... didn't see that smiley face lol

Try the 99mins CD-R, they're cool with 870Mb of storage space.

Comment

Working...