Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noone55555
    • Sep 2003

CD/DVD write issue w/ NEC 1300 + WinXP

I'm hoping someone here can help me get my new NEC 1300 DVD+-R drive working in WinXP. I usually pretty technically astute, so I'm getting frustrated. Here's my situation...

The NEC hardware seems to be fine as far as I can tell, but the darn drive refuses to write data to a CD-R or DVD-R w/ any popular Windows software. It locks up such software at the very moment it should start writing, and the drive quits spinning the media and the "little light" turns off. Reading CDs and DVDs works fine.

I'm pretty sure the drive is ok, as Ghost 2003 can use it to write both CD-Rs and DVD-Rs just fine. That leaves me pointing to a WinXP issue. I updated and fiddled with my ASPI stuff, but that didn't help. I've tried the latest versions of both Nero and EasyCD, but that didn't help. I've played around with the DMA settings - still nada. Thinking I'd maybe accumulated too much crud in my XP install, I even reinstalled WinXP to a spare partition and only installed the writing software, but it still choked in the same place...

Could it be something like a bad IDE cable, master/slave setup, or chipset issue? I am using "rounded" IDE cables that are rated for Ultra-ATA. I have the NEC drive as my secondary master, and a Samsung 48x DVD/CDR drive as its slave. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

I bought a 1300 recently but it refused to detect media. I don't think I tried it as a reader. I tried the bundled Pinnacle software but it refused to acknowledge a blank media. I returned it and got a replacement which works. Does Ghost do something at a lower level than most other apps?
    Have you checked out to see if there's a NEC firmware upgrade?
    Good luck
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• sfheath
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Sep 2003

NEC 1300 firmware 1.07

Firmware 1.07 available at http://www.necd.de/software/1163_Fir...00A_WIN107.zip
      It mentions reworked Windows installer.
      It also says it supports Princo -R media but it hasn't enabled mine to burn on it.
      This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...