Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • youppi
    • Sep 2003

WinDVD 4 - Can't play DVD-R - HELP!

I have installed WinDVD 4 on my PC but am unable to play a DVD-R. (I have played it on a Playstation2, so I know the problem isn't with the DVD-R) My DVD drive light just blinks but won't play it. Any ideas? Thanks!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Have you tried playing a COMMERCIAL DVD? It may be that your PC's DVD player only recognizes COMMERCIAL DVDs and DVD+R

2) If you obtained this less-than-most-current version of WinDVD by means "other than purchasing", it may not be functional...

Comment

• dollarbang
      • Sep 2003

My Laptop came with WinDVD software (it's a COMPAQ Evo N400).

How do I find out what version it is running and is it capable of reading DVD-Rs?

WinDVD reports "Playback cannot continue due to lack of Macrovision support in the Video display driver. Please update your display driver".

For some reason, that makes me think my video driver needs upgrading.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To dollarbang

The following MAY be pertinent to your situation:

There have been several postings over the past few months regarding this specific matter. The solution is to download and install the older NVidia driver(s)...

"The 41.09 and future drivers have more stringent checks in the driver to comply with the latest Macrovision requirements. If the TV encoder does not support Macrovision, you will get the "Macrovision Distribution Failed" error message or a similar message depending on which DVD software player you are using. The BT868 and Conexant CX25870 TV encoders do not support Macrovision. If your graphics card is equipped with one of these TV encoders, then it will not support DVD playback with our 41.09 drivers and above."

Comment

• dollarbang
          • Sep 2003

Thank you for your quick reply. It looks like the DVD-R was a bad copy. I tried it on two different DVD players and they couldn't get past the DVD Copy notice.

Is the WinDVD utility that came with the laptop robust enough to use?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

WinDVD v.4 is just fine for playback of DVDs (commercial or burned) on your PC...

Comment

Working...