X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matthijs
    • Sep 2003

need some help with converting .AVI to Video CD

Hello

I have converted a .AVI Divx movie to Video CD (PAL format) with a programme called TMPGEnc and then burned it to CD-R with Nero burning rom.
    But when I play the movie in my standard home cinema set (TV + DVD player with video cd compatability) the sounds are sometimes messed up, e.g. very choppy sound.
    Does someone have a tip or hint how to avoid that, or did I do something wrong???

I used the settings for my TMPGEnc programme from a post from setarip in this thread : klik here

To create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
    2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
    3) Click on "Setting" radio button
    4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
    5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
    6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
    7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - for highest quality set "Motion Search Precision" to "Highest Quality". Change the "Aspect Ratio" to match, as closely as possible, the "Source Aspect Ratio" you set under the "Advanced" tab.
    8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)
    9) Press "Start"

Note that if your video runs longer than 60 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file)
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Make certain that audio is set to 44,100Hz and not 48,000Hz...

(You looked at a VERY old [Feb. 2002] post of mine. I subsequently enhanced the procedural detail to include the following:

"9) Under the "Audio" tab, set to 44,100 224Kbps
    10) Press "Start"

(Or, instead of the steps 1)-10) above, you could attempt to use TMPGEnc's VCD "wizard"/template)"
    Last edited by setarip; 16 Sep 2003, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Matthijs
      • Sep 2003

audio is set at 44.100HZ, allready checked that before converting.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Does the burned VCD exhibit the same audio behaviour when you play it on your PC?

Make sure that, under "Video" tab, bitrate is set to 1,150

Make sure that, under "Audio" tab, bitrate is set to 224
        Last edited by setarip; 16 Sep 2003, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• Matthijs
          • Sep 2003

I haven't tried to play it on my PC, so I will check if the audio behavour is the same tomorrow.
          Vidao and Audio bitrates are the same as you described in your post.
          I will post my result tomorrow, must go to work

Comment

• Matthijs
            • Sep 2003

I've played the burned VCD disk on my PC, but I didn't had any sound problems, only on my dvd player.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

So now you know, the problem lays with your standalone DVD player.

Try different brands of CD-R...

Comment

• Matthijs
                • Sep 2003

Well, I had to mention earlier, but my DVD player is integrated in my TV, I have a Samsung Plano DVD Television

Comment

• Qyd
                  Digital Video Technician
                  Digital Video Technician
                  • Oct 2002

What speed do you use for burning?
                  More than 8x causes jerky video, so it might cause coppy sound too...

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

That's irrelevant.

Try different brands of CD-R...

Comment

Working...