Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian S
    • Jan 2002

DiVX to DV

This is a question I posted to a video-related mailing list. They didn't have any answers, but one person did suggest I visit here. I'm re-posting this email in the hopes that someone would actually have experience with this...

---------------------------------------
    I'll be seriously impressed if someone can solve this one...

A television station I do work for needs to transfer packages from it's remote office. The old method used to be by microwave transmitter. But that was a hassle because they had to use Public TV's microwave and the quality was suffering a bit. Their new method is to transfer the edited packages through FTP on a broadband line. DV files were way to large to practically transfer over the Internet. So, their solution was to have the remote office edit the package, then convert to the compressed DiVX format for transfer over the Internet.

The solution is good for the file size part of the equation, but the quality issue remains. What they're doing now is importing the files into Premiere on some kind of Pinnacle system, then exporting the project out to BetaSP. As you might imagine, the final product looks something like some of the CNN footage from third-world nations. That is, it looks like digital footage. Almost artifac-y and fast motion doesn't do well at all. [edit: The look is something like the old silent films from the 20's.] They've been running the packages like this for month because they've found no solution. It's annoying me quite a bit now, so I had them burn me a file so I could take it home and see if I could do anything with it.

I've messed with all the settings, from aspect ratio, to de-interlace and flicker removal, and the footage only look marginally better than the stuff they've been airing. My question is, is there some secret to getting the DiVX to look good once converted to DV? Or is it properties of the transcoding process that inherently make the conversion look so bad? I've searched the Internet and not found many people with experience in moving a file from DiVX to DV. For the sake of quality, I'd really like to help the station out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian
    Last edited by Brian S; 20 Jan 2002, 05:36 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"So, their solution was to have the remote office edit the package, then convert to the compressed DiVX format for transfer over the Internet."

This would be the first critical juncture worth exploring:

Which DivX codec is being used?
    What compression settings are being used? (Increasing the bitrate will increase the filesize somewhat, but certainly still within accepatable parameters for broadband transmission)

What is the visual quality of the DIVX .AVI video? (If the .AVI is of poor visual quality to begin with, it certainly won't improve with your next phase conversion)

Of course, although yielding a lower compression ratio than DivX, initial conversion to either MPEG1 (at 320x240, 352x240, or 352x288) or MPEG2 format (if it yields a file size that's acceptable, to you, for transmission) would most probably result in a higher quality image.

Let us know of your success ;>}
    Last edited by setarip; 20 Jan 2002, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• Brian S
      • Jan 2002

I fired up Premiere, and this is what the file info gave me:

File Path: G:\rowe.avi
      File Size: 131.52MB bytes
      Total Duration: 0;01;19;04
      Average Data Rate: 1.66MB per second
      Image Size: 720 x 480
      Pixel Depth: 24 bits
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.900
      Frame Rate: 29.97 fps

Audio: 32000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

AVI File details:
      Contains 1 video track(s) and 1 audio track(s).

Video track 1:
      Total duration is 0;01;19;04
      Size is 121.68MB bytes (average frame = 56.70KB bytes)
      There are 11 keyframes, 2361 delta frames.
      Frame rate is 29.97 fps
      Frame size is 720 x 480
      Depth is 24 bits.
      Compressor: 'DIVX', DivX Codec 4.12

Audio track 1:
      Size is 9.66MB bytes
      Rate is 32000 samples/sec, stereo
      Sample size is 16 bits
      -----------------------------------

I don't really know anything about DiVX compression, but it seems to be a pretty good quality compression. When it plays on the computer screen, it seems to look fine. There's no easy way for me to move it to video without sending to firewire though. Though, my video card does have S-VHS out I may try just for grins to see how it might play in window media player at full screen. To me, it looks like the loss is occuring at the stage where Premiere converts on the timeline to DV.

Brian

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Image Size: 720 x 480
        Pixel Depth: 24 bits"

I'd suggest that you ask your people to reduce the image size to 352x240 and definitely reduce the pixel depth to 16 bit. This should generate a still smaller DivX file, with attributes closer to that of television. Have them burn a sample disk for you and examine/evaluate it.

Since I don't know anything about the software being used to reconvert the files for TV transmission, I can't comment on that aspect of your endeavor.

Do keep us apprised of your progress ;>}

P.S. I still believe you might benefit from ultimately going the MPEG1 or MPEG2 route.

Comment

Working...