X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tux
    • Sep 2003

DivX/Xvid conversion to DVD ?

Hi,
    Just shelled out and bought myself a dvd-burner and i want to start putting my divx movies on dvd-r so i can play them on my Dvd player. With my burner came Ulead DVD MovieFactory and i am currently converting my movies using it. However it is EXTREMELY slow, it seems it will take close to 4 hrs to complete. I am running a P4 2.53ghz with 1gig of ddr so i cant imagine that my computer is causing the slow processes. Is this normal ? are there any faster ways of converting ? I also value the quality of every movie so I do want to keep as much quality as possible. All help will be most appreciated and I apologise if a similar thread has been raised. I did have a look but could not see one.

Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" v.1.5.11.37 (a different program than "TMPGEnc) to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• tux
      • Sep 2003

ok thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Will let you know how I go!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"thanks for your help, much appreciated."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• tux
          • Sep 2003

Well, looks like your adivce was perfect! Thanks alot setarip , only variation that I found which may help other people was to extract the audio using virtualdub, for some reason the sound wasnt syncing very well when i tried to get TMPGenc to do it all. So if any1 is curious how I did it, here are the steps that I followed:

1. Extract audio using VirtualDub.

2. Encode using TMPGenc.

3.Use TMPGdvd Author to create the IFO's etc..

4. If the file is too big use DvdShrink, ( an excellent program)

5. BURN!

I am by no means an expert at this now and if anyone has any suggestions on how to PERFECT this process I would be greatly appreciative.

1 question some1 might be able to answer.. Are the default values (bitrate etc) in TMPGenc very good for encoding for dvd ?

What sort of resolution (i guess, i dont know what else to call it) should i set it too. Atm i am setting it to 1:1VGA but i want the quality to be the best possible. Should I be setting it to 4:3PAL ?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Well, looks like your adivce was perfect! Thanks alot setarip"

Glad to hear it ;>}

Comment

Working...