Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave77
    • Sep 2003

bad playback of AVI in WMP 9

Hi. When I try to playback an AVI format video file in Windows Media Player 9 I cannot hear any sound, and the video is zoomed in, so that I can only see a small part of the whole video, like just a corner of the real screen. Zooming in or out doesn't help. I don't know what to do to fix it. I have tried reinstalling WMP 9 but that doesn't fix the problem. Playback of the avi files is excellent in DivX player, but not in WMP 9. Does anyone has an idea how to fix it? I use the latest version of WMP 9 and no new updates are available! I experience the same problem when playing a DVD in WMP9. In my DVD program Intervideo WinDVD it goes well, but when played in WMP it goes wrong: i can only see a part of the video screen and it is zoomed in to fill it, but i cannot zoom in or out.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Install and use good ol' reliable Windows Media Player v.6.4, as follows:

Desktop>>Start>>Run then type MPLAYER2.EXE

Comment

• dave77
      • Sep 2003

no sound

Hi.

Thank you for your help. The video plays good now, but I cannot hear any sound!! What is the problem with it?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

I'd speculate that the particular video was made using an .AC3 audiostream - in which case you'de have to download and install an .AC3 filter/codec.

To be certain, however, do the following:

1) Load the video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• dave77
          • Sep 2003

Thank you

I decided to remove Windows XP, erase my harddisk and format it again. Now I installed my previous OS: Windows 2000 and everyting is working fine again. I did have a lot of trouble with XP and updates didn't fix it. For example: i could not install my modem and had problems with software. Now in Win2000 it goes allright again. Also WMP works great now. I use the origional one and that is just great.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
            • Sep 2003

ha that was drastic but hey if it worked

Comment

• WildmanJoe
              • Jan 2003

That was not drastic, that was dumb... I'd shoot myself in the head if I were to ever use WMP 9.0. The problem is not with WinXP (I've never had any problems using WinXP from the day I bought it). As for your modem, have you gone to the website to download the XP compatible driver? WinXP is by far the most stable version of Windows (although M$ does suck a bit)... their WMP 9 sucks an infinite amount more than that.

Why can't people just stop 'wanting to use the latest software from M$'? The latest software aren't exactly the best. Just because it doesn't work in crappy WMP 9, you put the blame on XP. XP didn't cause the problem, sucky WMP 9 did. You should have tried other players such as BS Player or MV2 Player. Reformatting just because WMP 9 didn't work was utterly stupid.

Comment

Working...