X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheDane2003
    • Jan 2003

A little tiny tricky question

Haarj fellow digital-forum users.

I have a little tiny tricky question, why does my computer plays Xvid files better than AVI files, i can give you some examples.

My Avi streams running but the image stopping for 2-6 seconds all the time and skipping frames.

But my Xvid streams and Mpeg streams runs without any critical stops.

Can someone give me an experienced explanation to that because i cant see what should be the problem, Gspot does not returns any errormessages i can use.

So please give me an explanation.

Kindly regards.
    TheDane2003 alias Michael Hvidberg, Denmark
    TheDane2003 alias Michael Hvidberg
  • BoF
    • Nov 2001

Re: A little tiny tricky question

Originally posted by TheDane2003
    why does my computer plays Xvid files better than AVI files
    hey TheDane2003, you're comparing apples and pears! (is it a valid english expression?)
    XviD is a codec and AVI is an (old) container. you can find AVI containing XviD
    [www.scandiumrecords.com][Logan dataspirit]

Comment

• TheDane2003
      • Jan 2003

Re: you're comparing apples and pears

Haarj again.

Yeah i know its allmost the same, but why is there so much diffrence between the picture quality then, i can try to post some of my hardware settings douring the day (im at work right now), but i cant understand why my Xvid AVI runs perfect and my Divx Avi doesnt, there are many new drivers for Divx in the Tsunami filter pack i have so im not understand why the picture stopping as im explained earlier.

Any good explanations????

Comment

• BoF
        • Nov 2001

have you tried the ffdshow filter? (get the alpha one)

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
          • Sep 2003

it's apples and oranges but pears work to

Anway whats probly going on here is sence you now have a ton of diffrent DivX and XviD decoders all over your system DirectShow is probly now confused as all hell to what codec is best to use.

Get something like BSPlayer or Zoom player (anything that will desplay graph info of what decoders are being used to render the streams.

Something like GraphEdit (a very handy program from Microsfot) would be able to tell you what codecs are in use as well.

Figuring out wht codecs are acctualy playing the file would be the first step in figuring out how to fix it.

Comment

• BoF
            • Nov 2001

Originally posted by GeneralLeoFF
            it's apples and oranges but pears work to
            Thank u very much GeneralLeoFF: I knew pears were out of date

Comment

• TheDane2003
              • Jan 2003

Re: Tiny Problem

(quote on)
              Anway whats probly going on here is sence you now have a ton of diffrent DivX and XviD decoders all over your system DirectShow is probly now confused as all hell to what codec is best to use.
              (qoute off)

There you might have a hold on something i dont have thought about, because when i installed the TFP i installed both Divx 4 and 5.02 because i thought i was nessesary due to render the streams with the proper codec.

(qoute on again)
              Get something like BSPlayer or Zoom player (anything that will desplay graph info of what decoders are being used to render the streams.
              (quote off)

I got BSP 0.85

(quote on)
              Something like GraphEdit (a very handy program from Microsfot) would be able to tell you what codecs are in use as well.
              (quote off)

Okz thats something i must grab a hold on.

(quote on)
              Figuring out wht codecs are acctualy playing the file would be the first step in figuring out how to fix it.
              (quote off)

I was wondering, could i use Gspot for that as well???

But i will say thanks for all your explanations, you pepole are as usual the best.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                • Sep 2003

Gspot is a handy program but I dont think it'll tell you what filter is currently rendering the MPEG4 streams. It is great for telling you what filters are installed that claim to be compatable and tell you what choicesyou have.

Graph Edit will load the default graph used to play back the file and allow you to alter the graph so you can test what filters work best.

What your probly going to want to use for MPEG-4 (all variants... DivX, XviD, Etc...) is ffdshow.

anyway where a problem comes with codec packs is they install a ton of filters (most you wont even need) and while sometimes you wont get any problems sometimes they will bite you in the ass. Becose of DirectShows Merit system it will automaticly use the filtr that has the higest marit to play back the stream (and being a microsoft thing it;s ignorant about it). Sometimes just installing ffdshow again wont fix it.

Using Zoom Player you can either use it;s custom media graph mode where you get to tell it what codecs to use and it will always use them no mater what bypasing the ignorant merit system. Thats a good method but it will only affect Zoom Player and any other DirectShow player is still going to depend on the merit system.

However with Zoom Player there is also handy filter managment options where you can easly alter filter merits to fix problems like this.

Use graph edit to find whatever filter is playing the stream by default and then go in zoom player and alter it;s merit so FFDshow has the higest merrit of all possable mpeg-4 filters and ffdshow will become the default filter and all your problems should go away

Comment

• TheDane2003
                  • Jan 2003

Re: FFdshow and Zoom Player

Thanks for your wery good and wery informational reply.

But i need some help to configure FFdshow and these other things, where can i possible contact you for a live chat douring the weekend????

Comment

• BoF
                    • Nov 2001

Re: Re: FFdshow and Zoom Player

Originally posted by TheDane2003
                    But i need some help to configure FFdshow
                    default codec settings are fine!

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                      • Sep 2003

I can be found on AIM all the time but i'm not fond of listing my screen name on any public forums. i'll turn the private messanging thing backk on on this form and let tell you there (hope yers is on to)

Comment

• TheDane2003
                        • Jan 2003

Tiny Question solved

Haarj all.

I have solved my little tiny problem douring the weekend, i found out i was a general Error in my Divx Mpeg 4 Video decoder there causes the problem, thanks to Wingraph there was a diagnostic tool added wit Tsuami Filter Pack.

The problem got solved when im uninstalled Divx 4.0 and 5.02 and installed the last 5.03 and now it uses FFdshow Mpeg 4 video to render my video AND THATS WORKING allright!!!

I saw allmost every movie i have on my cpu and it was a dream to look at, so once again i will place folks at this forum im my eveningprayers.

a 1000 thanks from:

Comment

Working...