Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trust1945jwn
    • Oct 2003

vcr to hard drive to dvd playback on tv

what im trying to do is record to hard drive from vcr and then burn dvd disk, for playback on tv. my capture card only captures at 320x240. what would be the best setup to accomplish this.
  • GeneralLeoFF
    • Sep 2003

I always wonder why people are willing to waste a perficly good blank DVD for stuff like VHS captures when simple S-VCD (or CVD if you prefer) is more then good enough for the job. The crapy VHS quality dosnt improve just becose it's on a DVD. I guess not haveing it on 2 or even 3 CDs is a bones though

Anyway to the point of the mater... I have a feeling you have a ATI TV Wonder like I do and thats why you get that lame 320x240 limit. The card can infact capture up to 720x480 if you use custom genaric drivers (BTWinCap I think it was called but I dont have a URL). Even if it isnt a TV Wonder you should still be able to get it to capture at least 720x480 if it is based on a BT8x8 chipset. You might want to look into this before you try to capture anything.

You can also use something like WinPVR, PowerVCR II, or WinDVD Recorder. These programs are capable of capturing at full reselution even if your card is using crappy drivers that only support 320x240. Those programs are the easier way to go. Just plig the composite out on the VCR into the composite in on the capture card (Use S-Video if your lucky enough to have it) and then press play on the VCR and Record on the caputre program of your choice.

You can use virtual dub as well but you would have to fix the 320x240 only thing first if you want any real quality. But if your just going to transfer the VHS as is to DVD without editing it then dont bother with VirtualDub and just use one of the above programs to capture directly to MPEG-2.

If your trying to copy tapes you shouldent be copying and they have macrovision then your on your own to figure out how to get around that.

Comment

Working...