X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • najam
    • Oct 2003

please help me

hello all,
    I know this is a very basic question but i don't know its answer. I am a student i want to make a project and want to use divx format in it. I also want to use other popular algorithms.
    Please Please tell me from whrere to start with.
    I shall be very thankfull to all who will reply my query.
    Thanks again.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Reading the many available guides found on this site will be a good beginning ...

p.s. Perhaps you could elaborate further on what EXACTLY you are trying to achieve so we can better guide you?

Comment

• najam
      • Oct 2003

Thanks for your consideration,
      I want to make a multimedia video player. I don't have any clue regarding it. I want to make it in visual c++ 6.0. i want to use modern algorithms like divx in it.
      Please guide me

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

"multimedia video player"

As in a stand-alone box that accepts inputs either from CD and DVD, and is capable of output to TV? Or would a simple PC capable of playing video files and connected to the TV do?

Comment

• najam
          • Oct 2003

Thanks!

I want to make a media player on stand alone pc. I will wait for your reply.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

If all you are interested in are DivX (and other video formats) playback capability with support for TV-out, that would be one very simple request.

Simply get a reasonably powerful PC (1 GHz CPU with at least 256MB RAM) and pair it with any video card capable of TV-output. The majority of cards sport TV-out ports as standard nowadays, even the budget models; and you don't need to get any powerful card unless you intend to play games on the 'media box'.

Most on-board sound adapters feature 5.1 capabilities nowadays too and, unless you need the more advanced features and better sound quality of stand-alone cards like the Audigy 2 or M-audio Revolution, they should satisfy most typical users.

The following idea is extra, but you might be interested in my proposal. Get yourself wireless keyboard and mouse for the system, so you can access the 'media box' (typically somewhere near the TV, and far away from you who will be expected to be sitting comfortably on your sofa) conveniently.

On the software side, you can opt to go for FFDShow as the video decoder. Installing the latest version of your video card driver will help minimise possibilities of problems too.

If there is something that you explicitly need more explanation on, do not hesitate to ask away. Everyone here will be more than glad to answer your question. Cheers.
            Last edited by Enchanter; 12 Oct 2003, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Working...