Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coachcr
    • Oct 2003

VHS to DV using camcorder

I'm attempting to take my old VHS tapes to digital format on my computer for editing. After editing, I will record on DVD's. I have a Sony TRV38 that has analog-to-digital pass-through capability. So I connect my VCR to the analog input on the camcorder and then connect firewire cable to the port on my computer. Pinnacle Studio v8 software captures DV at 720x480. Obviously, my old VHS tapes were not this at this aspect ratio (or resolution, but I don't think the resolution will be a problem), so I get a thin black box around the outside with a wider vertical black bar to the right side (about 3 times the width of the other 3 sides). I'm guessing this is due to the incorrect aspect ratio.

Is my camcorder output signal 720x480 or is it just that Pinnacle only captures DV at 720x48? I read somewhere that DV is the best format to edit in, so that's why I've chosen it. Is there an easy way to chop off a little on the right side? Does Adobe premiere or another software capture at a different aspect ratio. I believe I need 640x480.

Please keep in mind that I have a few hundred of these tapes to do, so I'm hoping to keep it simple (although I will put in whatever time is necessary to do a good job). I'm new at this, so I would really appreciate an expert's help.
  • RNCSerge
    • Jul 2003

I believe that's overscan. Search for it anywhere. If you'll play the DVD's on a DVD player, don't crop those bars, because they keep the picture from going into the edges of the TV. Hard to explain, but search for "overscan", and you'll know.

Comment

• coachcr
      • Oct 2003

I agree that the thin line around may be overscan, but why do I get a large black line on the right side only?

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

Sometimes it'll be on the left side....it doesn't matter. If you are making a DVD to play in a stand-alone player the perimeters will be over-scanned and the bars disappear. It's only a problem if you intend to watch it on your PC, or are using your PC as the DVD player for your TV. You can crop the perimeters with TMPGenc's "Clip Frame" feature if that's what you intend to do. BTW...since VHS is 356X240 resolution that's gonna be as good as it gets....you can't improve your source.

Comment

• coachcr
          • Oct 2003

I agree that the thin line around may be overscan, but why do I get a large black line on the right side only?

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

I've had it on the left...and a month later it'll be on the right. Nothing that concerned me.

Comment

• coachcr
              • Oct 2003

So do I basically ignore it, edit my video with Pinnacle (add titles, delete frames, etc) and everything will be OK? Will it show up OK when it is burned to DVD? I know I'm asking some silly questions, but I'm uneducated on this subject. Is there a step by step approach to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

I remember Pinnacle had some pretty good tutorials on its site.

Comment

Working...