Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byczerson
    • Sep 2003

Ulead VS7, choppy playback?

I have been using Ulead VideoStudio 7 to capture video from a Sony DV camcorder, directly to Mpeg 2 format. I can then edit as a Mpeg 2 and burn as a DVD. The software seams pretty cool, but the video is all choppy.

During playback, the video jumps and pauses. Maybe it plays for about .5 second and then skips .1 second. Both audio and video are affected. At first, I thought it was skipping frames at capture but they are all there when I played frame by frame. The video also becomes pixilated at times.

I figured that there is too much data being moved around at one point or another and some is getting lost. I have tried changing the settings to allow some reduction in quality hoping to smooth things out, but have been unable to find the optimal settings.

Any thoughts? How do you get good quality DVDs from DV tape?
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

I've had people say that you need to load bottom field first (or vice versa.) Check the video information and see whether it says "field order A" or "B"...click on the tool icon and change the setting to the opposite field and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

or ur having a simplest of the problems, thats ur computer is not fast enough...

thats incase if ur capturing real time from dv to mpeg2. i have a AthlonXP 1800 with 512 mb ram and a baracuda HD. and still i cant do realtime mpeg2 from DV to Mpeg2.

try non-realtime encoding and see what happens.
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• byczerson
        • Sep 2003

Thanks for the info. I'll check for anything about the field order.

My computer is a few years old now. Its an Athlon 900 with 128 mb ram. I hope that that is enough. At first, I thought that I was loosing data durring capture but if I go frame by frame, they are all there. I have 29 frames/second recorded. It just plays back choppy.

Is there a way to capture in slow motion with VS7?

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

The people talking about loading bottom field first were reporting symptoms like yours.

Comment

Working...