Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnjoeright
    • Oct 2003

Help? Can't play DVD+R discs on HP w/XP

I purchased two sets of DVD+R compressed discs with about 25 hours of media per disc. They came from different merchants so I I do not believe my computer when it tells me there is no DVD in the drive. I have some bucks tied up in it now. Is there anything I can download or buy that will enable my HP N5425 lap top (20 months old) to play these DVDs? Regular store bought DVDs paly just fine on Windows Media Player and Interactual Player. Both say there is no disc in drive. The D drive shows empty. Hope someone outhere can help.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I purchased two sets of DVD+R compressed discs with about 25 hours of media per disc. They came from different merchants..."

1) LEGITIMATE merchants don't sell burned DVD+Rs (NOr should you be posting to these forums about problems with bootlegged media, as it's against the rules)

2) 25 hours on one DVD+R, compressed or otherwise, is too absurd to contemplate

Based on what you've described, it sounds VERY MUCH like you've been had...

Comment

• johnjoeright
      • Oct 2003

Ok I'll resign from your forum

Thanks. They were burned by business associates in the Alaskan sailing charter trade to offer to clients, explaining and showing the various venues and training available for hire. I spent three years circumnavigating the globe in a small 41 ft yacht including the southern ocean where seas reach 100 feet and the Arctic where seas throw autombile size ice chunks through the air like a matchbox. I have spent years in this business "LEGALLY." I have not been had, the merchant has offered to refund the purchase without complaint from me. I was trying to use a valuable business tool, which is not absurd since colleagues have used the same compressed discs successfully to do what I am attempting. But I will resign from this "friendly" forum since I have violated the rules. Would that be satisfactory?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I was trying to use a valuable business tool, which is not absurd since colleagues have used the same compressed discs successfully to do what I am attempting."

I guess you didn't think this was relevant in your initial post

"the merchant has offered to refund the purchase without complaint from me."

Or this...

"I spent three years circumnavigating the globe in a small 41 ft yacht including the southern ocean where seas reach 100 feet and the Arctic where seas throw autombile size ice chunks through the air like a matchbox. I have spent years in this business 'LEGALLY.'"

Although certainly impressive, the "legality" (whatever you mean by that) of circumnavigating the globe is in no way relevant to why your DVD+Rs don't play...

(And I still say to you, there's no way to get 25 hours of video on one DVD+R)

Last but not least, most DVD ROMs/players only recognize one or the other - DVD-R or DVD+R - not both. Chances are your laptop's DVD ROM only recognizes DVD-Rs...
        Last edited by setarip; 20 Oct 2003, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• johnjoeright
          • Oct 2003

Thanks again. I must be mistaken on the number of hours on the four discs in each set. I appreciate the information and did not know that drives do not often play both DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs. That information solves my problem or at least my confusion. Much appreciated. Have good day.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

This is TRULY a friendly forum - and being friendly sometimes includes being the bearer of ill tidings (e.g. "Based on what you've described, it sounds VERY MUCH like you've been had")...

Comment

• kimomakano
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by setarip
              Last but not least, most DVD ROMs/players only recognize one or the other - DVD-R or DVD+R - not both. Chances are your laptop's DVD ROM only recognizes DVD-Rs...
              Funny, I thought most DVD ROMs could read both but only record one or the other.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To kimomakano

A DVD ROM can't record at all - it's another name for a PC's DVD player, not a burner...

Comment

• johnjoeright
                  • Oct 2003

Reading both?

That is interesting. Do have any idea whay an 18 month old DVD rom would not play the DVD+R before I return them to the Alaska charter group I belong to? SOmeone mentioned getting drivers once but I can't find them for th HP Pavilion N5425. Hey thanks for participating.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To johnjoeright

"kimomakano's" statement is incorrect...

Comment

• kimomakano
                      Platinum Member
                      Platinum Member
                      • Jun 2002

Re: To johnjoeright

Originally posted by setarip
                      "kimomakano's" statement is incorrect...
                      Wow, sorry setarip!!

It wasn't really a "statement" but more of a "thought". I realize also that DVD ROMs in and of themselves cannot burn, I evidently incorrectly assumed that the use of DVD ROM was made generically for a DVD ROM/BURNER.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

To kimomakano

There's certainly no need to apologize to me. I just wanted to make certain that the initiator of this thread, "johnjoeright", wasn't misled...

Comment

• johnjoeright
                          • Oct 2003

Thanks folks

I really do appreciate everyone's help and am sending the things back for my cir. seven dollar refund each. Did not mean cause a stir but am again appreciative.

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

"I really do appreciate everyone's help"

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...