X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uksaint
    • Oct 2003

Audio lag when using Nero for DVD cutting

Hi,

I'm new to this DVD recording lark. I've just cut my first DVD. I've got a Sony DWU110a and use Nero 6 with Nerovision Express II. I'm trying to cut MPEG TV recordings recorded from my Digital TV card. The process on Nero seems to work and the DVD cuts OK, but on playback there is a delay in the audio by around 1 second I suppose, shorter for really short recordings. I've saved projects to hard disk using Nerovision (before the burning process) and this suffers the same fate which perhaps indicates that it is the MPEG decoding rather than the burning process itself.
    Anyone any experience of this and any solutions.
    Thanks for any help.
  • uksaint
    • Oct 2003

Atten: Setarip..... Any chance of the reply that you posted on the other thread but took off after 15 mins.

Cheers.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"I'm trying to cut MPEG TV recordings recorded from my Digital TV card."

1) Are you capturing as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2?

2) Does the MPEG playback properly before you burn to DVD, or is the MPEG out of synch?

Comment

• uksaint
        • Oct 2003

Thanks,

1. It's mpeg 2.

2. The original recorded mpeg, as recorded to my HD from the TV card is fine. The problems start when I want to burn these files (MPEGs) to DVD which I use Nerovison Express for. After setting these files up in Nerovision Express they seem to go through a conversion process (MPEG decoding ?? - this comes with the Nero package) which passes out a new version of the recording to a temporary file (as a novice to burning I'm not sure whether that's normal), it then burns it to the DVD. I saved one of these "Nero converted files" to my HD rather than burn it and this suffered the audio lag problem. The problem would therefore seem lie in the conversion (decoding) process rather than the actual burning itself. Any ideas?

Thanks for any assistance.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the MPEG to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc) to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
          (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• uksaint
            • Oct 2003

Hi again,

OK, I've downloaded TMPGEnc and run the wizard as suggested, however, it just reports that the files (i.e. the mpeg ones that I want to decode) are not supported. I must confess I think I've lost the plot here as this software says it is used to convert AVI etc to MPEG 2, the thing is my files are already MPEG 2. From what you're saying I presume it's just not the appropriate DVD type. Is there any further guidence you can give for the TMPGEnc software to decode my MPEG 2 files.

Cheers

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Try loading your present MPEG-2 files DIRECTLY into "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (bypassing loading them into "TMPGEnc").

Please advise if they're accepted for input...

("I must confess I think I've lost the plot here as this software says it is used to convert AVI etc to MPEG 2".

Although that's the most frequently used function of TMPGEnc, it's not the ONLY function)

Comment

• uksaint
                • Oct 2003

OK, thanks,

I'll download the "Author" suite for the next phase over the next day or two and report back,

Cheers

D.

Comment

• uksaint
                  • Oct 2003

Hi again,

I don't know whether I'm just not destined to be able to do this !! I've loaded up DVD Author and gone through the process OK with the wizard. However I go to output the file and a message comes up "Read error occured at address (blah blah) of Module "TMPGEncDVDAuthor.exe" with (numbers). That suggests a software error to me. I've tried reinstalling but the same happens. Any idea for the next option?

Cheers

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

The only other suggestion I can make at this point is to reiterate something I said in my intial response, to wit:

As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab"

"DVDLab", at times, exhibits higher "tolerance" of "less-than-perfectly-standard" MPEG-2 files...

Comment

• uksaint
                      • Oct 2003

Back again,

With the help of DVD Lab (which highlights any problems as they happen in the decoding process) I've established that the problem would appear to lie with the way that the audio is being recorded by my Hauppauge software that controls my TV recordings. Basically whilst the picture is being recorded in MPEG 2 the audio is being recorded in MPEG 1 and this seems to be causing all of the problems. There are 2 settings in the recording options of the hauppauge (HP) software, MP2 Audio (the default) and MPG(PS Audio/Video). The MPG would seem to be the one most appropriate for what I want to do (according to DVD Lab) but for some reason I don't seem to able to save this setting on my HP software even though it allows me to select it. I will need to take this up with Hauppauge I suppose. Does this sound logical or should there be a way of being able to set the mpeg 2 / mpeg 1 files up for DVD recording?

Comment

• warden
                        • Oct 2003

make sure that the dvd authoring program is set to have the audio in mpeg or non compressed -- dependign on how you captured the program from your tv/graphic card

that helped me get the audio in sync using dvd authoring program(ulead moviefact)

but now the picutre is jumpy - like max hedrom, jitters and does doulbe take

also - im am currently trying to caputre the program in avi format and use tmpgenc to encode to compliant dvd format, then use moviefactory to finish up with menus and the burn, so far my test is working, ill let you know if it works out on a longer file/show

Comment

• sfheath
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Sep 2003

I use the Hauppauge Nova-t for DVB and had a problem. Hauppauge tech support suggested I use PVAStrumento to convert from MPEG2 Transport Stream to MPEG2 Program Stream. It largely cured my time lag problem and a corruption I was getting in multi-part recordings also.
                          UKSaint, I recommend PVAStrumento - it did it for me
                          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• uksaint
                            • Oct 2003

sfheath, I owe you one......

I've downloaded this software and converted some of my recordings to program stream - and yes, recording DVD's from these converted program stream files - are fine - so far anyway. So it's hopefully problem solved.

Thanks very much sfheath for this, you saved me having to liase with Hauppauge and I'm not sure I would have found this german software by browsing.

Thanks also to everyone else that has put in their twopenny worth.

Comment

• sfheath
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Sep 2003

Glad it's working out
                              This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...