Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burns212000
    • Oct 2003

TMPGEnc question

just out of curiosity (there might not be a simple answer to this ques)...why does converting the audio format to an uncompressed PCM allow a standalone DVD player to play the VCD? is it because the file size becomes much bigger when converting to PCM and thats "easier" for the standalone to read?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I'm afraid your theory is not valid - because, at best, an Uncompressed PCM (.WAV) audio file is but an intermediate step in the creation of a VCD file (If the original audiostream was a Variable Bitrate .MP3, for example). The final VCD file is actually comprised of a videostream in MPEG-1 format and an audiostream in MPEG-1 Layer II format...

Comment

• burns212000
      • Oct 2003

ok...you're right, i didnt understand the process... (actually just did not think it through before i asked the question)....but i have another question....if its only an intermediate step, why does one have to do it (convert to uncompressed PCM) in order for the final VCD creation to play in a standalone?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

As I said before, if the original audiostream was a Variable Bitrate .MP3, for example - TMPGEnc cannot handle that audioformat. Therefore, you'd have to convert that audiostream to something TMPGEnc CAN handle - Constant Bitrate .MP3 or Uncompressed PCM (.WAV)...

Comment

• burns212000
          • Oct 2003

more to add....i just looked at the file information of the final product(actually plural, final products because of 1st and 2nd split)....the 1st split audio final info is as follows: 44KHz, 224Kbps layerII....is that what it should be to ensure audio to play in the standalone?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Yes...

Comment

• burns212000
              • Oct 2003

ok...you say TMPGEnc "could not handle" certain types of audio formats....does that mean then it would refuse to encode because it couldnt recognize it? when i used TMPGEnc the 1st time around it never said it couldn't recognize a certain audio format....when you say "could not handle", do you mean it wouldn't produce a final product that was allowed to play on a standalone?

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

It means that it would create a video WITHOUT SOUND...

Comment

• burns212000
                  • Oct 2003

ok....sounds good, i think i have a much better understanding of all this and i really appreciate your great advice and help....with your nearly 13,000 posts i see that you have helped out a number of people....i think that's awesome, and once again, thank you

Comment

• burns212000
                    • Oct 2003

ok....one more ques. (hopefully not annoying you yet)....is it possible that playing the CREATED VCD (not avi file from hard drive) on the computer would have sound but not w/ the standalone?

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

If you've created a VCD including a 44KHz, 224Kbps layerII audiostream, and your standalone DVD player can play your burned VCD, it should play with audio on your standalone...

Comment

• burns212000
                        • Oct 2003

ok...thank you very much for all your help (and patience)

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

"thank you very much for all your help (and patience)"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...