X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

To Ramierez

I believe that I was decent enough in responding meaningfully to your initial post (regardless of its tenor).

So why don't you behave as something other than an immature brat and simply disappear into the night, rather than busting chops and getting everyone's panties in a bunch?

I would appreciate the courtesy of an intelligent, mature response, if at all possible.

Thank you.
  • Rameriez
    • Jan 2002

To setarip

I didn't disappear into the night, I'm still here. I was just surprised at how unhelpful the moderators were. BTW, the picture was of Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, two of the founders of Unix. They were working on an old PDP machine, a relic of university computers. Seeing that a statement of protest in a visual form did not provide much of a helpful response, I have decided to repost my question, but in a more intelligent form.

"Hacking" the university computers is not an option. All I want is information on any kind of DivX player which does not check for the codec in the usual Windows directory. <a href="http://www.bstnet.org">BSPlayer</a> will actually function if the required codec files are in the same directory as the player, but I have been having problems with the sound. I'm afraid I'm not experienced with these things enough to understand much about AC3, but I think it requires a seperate soundtrack file in order to play sound. Am I correct? BSPlayer isn't exactly user-friendly if you don't know the terminology. Does anyone else know of a player that will play do this?
    Last edited by Rameriez; 24 Jan 2002, 05:23 AM.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"about AC3, but I think it requires a seperate soundtrack file in order to play sound. Am I correct?"

No. Unfortunately (in your restricted situation), you may have run into another wall - you need to install (which requires it being "registered" in windows - which I believe is your bane) the audio codec "iviaudio.ax" or similar.

By the way, did you ever pursue my suggestion of asking the administrator to give you temporary rights just long enough to install the codecs - or was that not a meaningful option?

P.S. " I was just surprised at how unhelpful the moderators were."

Because you came across as a jerk ;>}
      Last edited by setarip; 24 Jan 2002, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• Thrawn
        • Jan 2002

hm maybe the theme of your post wasnt very good at all too, so the moderator had to answer u this posting

at all, installing personal software at pcs at your working station (even if it's the university) is just a good idea if u get the rights to do this too, so you really really better ask your system administrator (and spend him some coffee or beer(?) *g*) instead of HACKING (??? are u silly ???) a university PC.
        The Grandadmiral was here!

Comment

• Rameriez
          • Jan 2002

No, basically

"Hacking" wasn't my idea, it was suggested to me by someone else, I also think it is silly. Anyway, putting the codec on the machine itself (i.e. windows folder), won't work because the machines' local drives are re-imaged regularly, "cleansing" the system.

But, all students are given limited space on a network drive, which is where I am trying to run my divx stuff...

So, <a href="http://www.bstnet.org">BSPlayer</a> can be installed on my network space, and I also put the codec there.

Anyway, I need a copy of this iviaudio.ax you say? I see you can get this from WinDVD, but that won't install becaue it automatically places things in the windows folder, so is there any way I can get this file on its own?

Comment

Working...