Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nobbly
    • Nov 2003

DV Capture via iEEE1394 very slow and laggy

I have just reinstalled my Windows XP on to the C: drive. It was previously running from the D: drive.

If I open My Computer and open the DV camera the display of the image coming from the camera is very slow and laggy, up to a 3 or 4 second delay.

Also, now capturing using Vegas drops frames which it never did before.

I have set up the paging file for both drives (c: and d: ) to be min 200Mb max 500mb

Has anyone got any ideas?
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

Re: DV Capture via iEEE1394 very slow and laggy

Originally posted by Nobbly

I have set up the paging file for both drives (c: and d: ) to be min 200Mb max 500mb

u dont have to set paging file for both drives, also its better to set it auto/system managed as uv changed the defaults.

also check if ur processor is not running 100% somhow all the time that will drop frames.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

When I capture with the video option I can see the video in the capture software screen a few seconds after the image in the VidCam, too. This is normal, and has nothing to do with dropping frames. I assume there is a delay because of the computer processing . Why don't you experiment with another editor besides Vegas to see if it drops frames, too. VirtualDub is free...VS7 has a 30 day trial.

Comment

• Nobbly
        • Nov 2003

I have reset the paging file on C: and removed it from D:
        The CPU does go up to 100% when i'm viewing it thru MyComputer, I tried new video drivers, moving the Firewire card to a different slot, to no avail.
        There was no delay or dropped frames before I reinstalled XP so it must be a configuration thing but I don't know what to do next.

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

XP is a CPU hog...what size MMU and RAM?....did you install DirectX9? Is there a different version of Vegas for XP?

Comment

• Nobbly
            • Nov 2003

Its a PIII 800 256Mb with Directx9 standard Vegas 4

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

open taskbar / processes and check what process is taking all cpu usage and then shut thatout or uninstall that program

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

It's the Vegas capturing program that's eating the CPU...which is normal. 800MB is slightly more than what most capturing software normally requires (500MB). Maybe ULead Video Sudio7 might be easier on the cpu...why not download a 30 day trial?

Comment

• Nobbly
                  • Nov 2003

When I look at the output from the camera in My Computer/Sony DV Camcorder its explorer.exe thats taking 99 whatevers of the CPU in the task manager, so maybe its explorer that messed up, there are a couple of other odditiwes going on like when i delete files the little delete panel doesn't go away.
                  Is it possible to reinstall explorer?

Comment

• atifsh
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by Nobbly
                    When I look at the output from the camera in My Computer/Sony DV Camcorder its explorer.exe thats taking 99 whatevers of the CPU in the task manager, so maybe its explorer that messed up, there are a couple of other odditiwes going on like when i delete files the little delete panel doesn't go away.
                    Is it possible to reinstall explorer?
                    that seems like windows explorer, only solution is reinstall of windows. but explorer usually dont take 99% cpu usage unless some program is messed it up. so still i say try uninstallin few softwares u have and see what happens

Comment

• rsquirell
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Feb 2003

It's not uncommon for a video capture program to use close to 100% of the CPU...and upgrading to a faster processor won't always change that. It's not the lagging that's the problem...it's the dropped frames (which indicates something other than a lossless capture.) I had a guy tell me he had tried everything...including an upgrade to his 1.2GB MMU and a massive increase in RAM, and nothing helped. I suggested he try short (3' max) GOLD cable connections. He did , and the dropped frames problem became a thing of the past. Gold firewire cables are expensive...but not as expensive as a computer upgrade.

Comment

• atifsh
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2003

may not be the sollution for u but my friend had problems capturing full screen dv to mpeg2..and his prooblem was his slow 5400 rpm harddisk. , he get new 7200 rpm disk that solves his problem.

oh he got a p4 2.4 ghz mach.

Comment

• Donnie
                          • Nov 2003

Had exactly the same problem, formated reinstalled windows and the problem was gone

Comment

• videopnut
                            • Nov 2003

Dropped frames during capture are almost always caused by too slow a transfer rate by the Hard Drive.

This problem is aggravated by trying to capture to the system drive or the drive containing Windows swap file, capturing to a fragmented drive, too little free space, not having DMA enabled for that drive, or capturing to a generally slow drive. For IDE, 7200 RPM drives work best. Ultra-66 or higher recommended, but Ultra-33 will work for DV with the right capture card and software.

Comment

Working...