CAPTURING, Things i can do to make capture record better?????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamieuk23
    • Nov 2003

CAPTURING, Things i can do to make capture record better?????

Is there any inportant things i need to do b4 recording using my WINTV PVR 250 capture card (pci)..... Like disconnect from the internet...... close any other aplications....... Is there anything i need to do to my hard drives >?????.

BASICALY ANYTHING THAT WILL RESULT WITH BETTER ALL ROUND RECORDING!.

If you think i need to do anything, can you please explain how i do it, cheers!!

thanks 4 ya time, realy apreciate!!
  • GeneralLeoFF
    • Sep 2003

Just make sure yer hard drive is de-fragmented and it is always best to capture to a secondary drive. If you have to capture to the same drive windows is installed on and stuff then try not to have programs running that would make constant use of the drive (disable p2p programs)

Being offline would probly help but it never has been a huge problem for me to stay online when i'm capturing.

oh and if avalable enable DMA on yer hard drives.

Comment

• jamieuk23
      • Nov 2003

>?

what does de-fragmented do to the hard drive ???

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
        • Sep 2003

when a hard drive is used alot and files are added and deleted eventauly files will start to be broken up (fragmented) all over the drive. this causes the head to have to move around the disc more then it should to find all the parts of the file.

De fragmenting will re group all the files together and also moce all the free space together. The more consecutive free space means the less the ehad will have to move around as it write the captured file = less droped frames

Comment

• sfheath
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Sep 2003

The PVR250 uses a hardware encoder relieving a lot of the CPU workload so casual browsing should be ok - just be careful of downloads?
          I'm considering getting one myself. How do you rate it?
          This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

Originally posted by sfheath
            [B]The PVR250 uses a hardware encoder relieving a lot of the CPU workload so casual browsing should be ok - just be careful of downloads?
            yes hardware encodres will give cpu a rest, but u still have to let ur harddrive free for capturing video or better use seperate
            harddrive.
            Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• sfheath
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Sep 2003

Ah, must have been looking at multiple threads then - yes indeed - hard drive access!!
              I bought an 80Gb drive for just that a month ago - of course I can get 120Gb for the same price now!
              This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• atifsh
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2003

Originally posted by sfheath

I bought an 80Gb drive for just that a month ago - of course I can get 120Gb for the same price now!
                yeah and a 160 gigs the net 2 months.....so whats the point in cursing
                Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...