X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonathanM
    • Nov 2003

Compuetr requirments for DV editing etc

I'm a newbie to all of this, go easy

I've got a DV camera, and want to get a new PC to allow some none linear editing, and to save to a DVD format that will play back through a grundig DVD player.

Without loads of tech talk, what do I need in terms of hardrive, memory, processor, OS, video & audio cards, DVD device?

I'm already assuming that anything I buy will be firewire equipped, but want some opinions on system requirements, please.

Many Thanks

Jonathan
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

Re: Compuetr requirments for DV editing etc

Originally posted by JonathanM
    I'm a newbie to all of this, go easy

I've got a DV camera, and want to get a new PC to allow some none linear editing, and to save to a DVD format that will play back through a grundig DVD player.

Without loads of tech talk, what do I need in terms of hardrive, memory, processor, OS, video & audio cards, DVD device?

I'm already assuming that anything I buy will be firewire equipped, but want some opinions on system requirements, please.

Many Thanks

Jonathan
    get a cpu round 2.0gigz memory minimum of 512 mb, 7200 rpm harddrives or better. seperate harddisk for capturing is better.

any dx 8 AGP as minimum (ATi or nvidia), soundblaster 5.1 for full dvd audio.

for capturing u can get many firewire cards from 50 t 100 $ try to get one with hardware encoder, though if u got cpu speed above 2.0 gigz dont require that. u may also get one with both analog and digital inputs. (check pinnacle/snazzi).

always get better cables, no matter how good ur hardware is if ur cable sucks ull get bad quality result.

for editing try trial versions of video studio 7, power director 2.55 or pinnacle studio 8, then choose what suits u best.

u also may try Tmpgenc's programs for editing too for free, or tmpgenc's dvd auther for making dvd with menu's.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• JonathanM
      • Nov 2003

OK, thanks, the stuff I understand goes with what I'd already read on the subject, but why a seperate hard disc?

Comment

• atifsh
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2003

Originally posted by JonathanM
        but why a seperate hard disc?
        if u use harddrive that has windows installed means its always in use somway or other.....antiirus, p2p, browsing,......more. using seperate drive will solve that and will give 100% for storing captured data.

but again not a must, but better

Comment

• xirurg
          • Nov 2003

about the drive size - you'll need some big HD - preferable 40 GB or more, because when you capture - it makes first enormous files ( 1 hour = 13-14 GB). then you could decode it or whatever with the mentioned software or Dr. Divx - depends on what you'l want to have eventualy.

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

Originally posted by xirurg
            about the drive size - you'll need some big HD - preferable 40 GB or more, because when you capture - it makes first enormous files ( 1 hour = 13-14 GB). then you could decode it or whatever with the mentioned software or Dr. Divx - depends on what you'l want to have eventualy.
            thats not entirly true

ur only talking bout non real time captiring or when for some reasons u want to capture raw avi file. remember u still can do realtime capturing in mpeg/mpeg2 if u have faster computer, same goes for realtime divx encoding, without the need of that much space, and quality still be good.
            or u may have a capturing card with hardware encoder that will give u perfect quality and do realtime encoding without the use of much cpu power.

Comment

Working...