X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanguker
    • Oct 2003

5.1 Divx on a home theater system

Hi everyone,

I need a little expertise. I have my computer attached to my 5.1 home theater system through audio RCA cables. I want to encode my movies in DivX AC3 5.1. Will my home theater be able to play sound in 5.1 from the AVI file via the RCA jacks?... or only stereo. If not...why not? and, if not, is there any way to make this happen?

Thanks of any help,
    Han.
  • BLACKGHOST
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Sep 2003

As far as i know mate I might be wrong but as the output of the computer is not 5.1 then it cannot play 5.1.

Like having a video player which most are analog. Therefore cannot play surround sound through them as the sound output is only analog.

This is all I know mate

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
      • Sep 2003

If you have it hooked up where the PC would be doing all the work in decoding the AC3 then it should work. Yor sound system would basicly just be donating it's speakers to the PC This depends if you acctualy have a 5.1 compatable sound card in the PC and i'm sure you do.

Does your sound system have an auxiliry mode with RCA inputs corasponding to all 6 chanels (5 speakers 1 sub) of somkind? If it does you could just adapt the speaker outs on the sound card to RCA and conect them to your sound system and then the PC would do all the work for you and just play off your sound systems speakers. your system will still be able to controll volume and balance and all that fun stuff to.

If you want to sound system to decode the AC3 itself then I belive you would need some kinda digital conection via a SP/DIF or something but I never hooked up that way before. I just do it like the first method I suggested.

Comment

• hanguker
        • Oct 2003

Thanks for the help. I think I might be out of luck though. My soundcard is indeed 5.1 and has analog and digital outputs. However, my reciever leaves much to be desired. It's built into my dvd player and though it has video 1 and 2 inputs they seem to only be in stereo (i.e. left and right rca inputs). I think I may be out of luck. True?

Thanks.
        Han.

Comment

Working...