X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atr232000
    • Nov 2002

.dat want work

Hi

Can anyone help me please, i have a .dat file that want open i have tryed opening it with WinDVD, also with QuickVCD Player as i found out a dat file is a VCD file. Well i have also tryed to rename it to .avi and .mpg and so on and see if it will play through anything else, but no luck there. i have also tryed VCDcutter as i read that it can repair some .dat files but it just crashs all programs that i try to open it with.
    Anyone got any advice to open this file so i can repair it
    Thanks Alot
    Atr232000
  • mogul
    • Nov 2003

I'm only a pimply faced newbie to the site mate, but I understood a .dat file was a data file and you could probably open it with notepad. But I think the video quality would probably suck.

Cheers.....mogul

Comment

• andrewpk200
      • Mar 2003

A .dat file can be many things, one of there uses IS as on vcds, they are just mpeg files with a vcd header, but they can also be used by other software as data files, holding information about system settings that kind of thing,

if you are unsure about what you have try 2 things, look at the file size, most data files are very small only a few meg, a vcd file should probably be somewere near 600-800Mb,
      Also try loading the file into VirtualDub MOD (a different program to virtualdub) and see if that can read the file, if it is a VCD file it should list it as being so while loading the files,
      The Power of a Goldfish Should never be underestimated

Comment

Working...