Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhk
    • Dec 2003

audio sync problems driving me crazy

This is driving me crazy. I'm burning DVDs from captured MPEG files. These are movies analog captured from a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 DVR-Cable Box. The MPEG files play perfectly in 3 or 4 different file players. When I process and burn the files (to HD VOB files/folders, or to DVD--tried different brands and formats), I get sometimes (not always) audio sync problems. This has happened with both Roxio 6 and Nero 6 authoring programs. When it happens, it happens with both.

There are two cases: The first I think it relatively simple: The audio is out of sync from the outset.

In the second case, the audio goes out of sync at a certain point in the playback where there's a "jitter" in the video, and is then out of sync for the rest of the playback. (Dropped frames? but don't forget: Not in the MPEG source file, and in the same spot in the output from two different programs.)

I'm a relatively sophisticated computer user, but new to this video/DVD stuff. I have a computer I built myself, running WinXPPro on a 500 Mhz P4 with plenty of RAM and HD space, ATI 128AIW video.

I have googled "audio sync" and looked at many results, but none addressed my problems directly. I have downloaded the various shareware that I found mentioned on forums: VOBEdit, VDubMod, TMPGEnc, IMGTool, DVDShrink, DVDDecrypter. I can't find any way to work on this. I was hoping they would provide a way to solve the problem if it was introduced by other software. I would think, for example that VOBEdit might help me. It gives the audio delay (which might be the only problem from case 1), but I don't see how to change the value.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. At the least, I need to know how to explore and change the audio sync in DVD/VOB files.

Thanks
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

Hi there, you have what I had. For converting a DVB MPEG2 Transport Stream to a DVD compliant MPEG2 Program Stream I believe the only program to do that conveniently is PVAStrumento.
    Use settings "do not split","2048 packet size" and untick the box "flag stream as variable btirate stream" under the video tag.
    Then use the saved stream for your DVD. I don't guarantee timing will be spot on every time but it's a lot more bearable
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...