X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • auschick
    • Dec 2003

dvd+r skips on stand alone fine on notebook windvd

Hi - can somebody help me out?

I use DVD+R media, DVD Shrink, and Nero6, sometimes Sonic record now.

For some reason when I play my DVD+R disks on my sony stand alone player, they have pauses/skips similar to layer changes on original DVDs, but more frequent throught the disc.

Yet when I play the same DVD+R disk on my Dell laptop using Intervideo Win DVD or Windows media player there are no skips what so ever.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem? or does anyone know how I could possibly solve this problem? I can hook the Notebook to the TV to view DVDs, but the quality just isnt good enough.

Thanks in advance,
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your Sony. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US.

As an aside, Sony standalones appear to "prefer" DVD-R to DVD+R - although most models will play both formats...

Comment

• auschick
      • Dec 2003

Thanks for that suggestion. I just ran a Disc cleaning cd that I allready have but hadnt used on the DVD player. Unfortunately I am still having the same problems. I'm starting to think there is a problem with my Sony players compatibility, as I tried the same discs out on my sisters player and they also skip in the same places.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Again:

As an aside, Sony standalones appear to "prefer" DVD-R to DVD+R - although most models will play both formats...

Comment

• auschick
          • Dec 2003

Can you recommend any cheaper stand alone systems? with good compatability?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

What I'd first recommend, as a less costly alternative, is that you try burning a DVD-R or two - and play them on your Sony(s)

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
              • Sep 2003

APEX makes a new player thats both + and - compatable and it's prised just shy of $40. It's progressive scan to boot APEX players have always been known for low low price but still highley compatable and reliable but yes do as setrip says and tst yer sony on some DVD- discs first.

What model sony player are you using if you dont mind? I like to keep a record of model numbers that users have been having problems with and to doiuble check it;s compatability on DVDRHelp.com

Comment

• auschick
                • Dec 2003

Thanks for all the help guys - I just went out and bought a cheap dvd player and the dics are playing beautifully! cost AU$100. It's a digitor.

My new player has progressive scan aswell, allthough I have no idea what this actually means!
                I'm guessing it is just a Sony problem, and an annoying one at that!

The Sony's are DVP-NS530 and DVP-NS300

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                  • Sep 2003

Television sets (PAL and NTSC) are interlaced desplays. With all the advances over the years in TV and video players it is STILL stuck in the 1930's. The technology has not changed all that much sence TV was first conceved. Even DVD with all it;s high tech and high quality images is still based on a 1930's technology. Hell NTSC DVD is STILL just 480 lines where PAL is a bit better at 576 lines but as you know from messing with a PC they are capable of reselutions MUCH higher then that. a PC can even desplay reselution conciderably higher then HDTV even. But sence DVD was designed at a time prior to HDTV it was built to work with exesting TV sets. So where stuck with low reselution 480 and 576.

Anyway to explane progresive scan... Sence i'm in an NTSC region i'll explane it as best I can for NTSC (it;s the same with pal but diffrent speeds). With interlacing the set will desplay 60 fields a second resulting in 30 full frames a second. a field is 50% of the frame and it has to scan 2 fields to build a complete frame. It can result in flickering. play a DVD on your TV that has credits with a black screen and white text. If you watch close as the credits roll up they will flicker slightly as the white text crosses scanlines.

Progresive scanning desplays the full frame at 100% reselution with just 1 scan. It results in less flicker and an overall better image quality. It can also as a result desplay 60 full frames a second rather then 30. DVD is capable of desplaying progresive scan but you must have a desplay that can handle the progresive scan image. HDTV, Digital projectors, and your PC monitor are all examples of progresive scan desplays. If your DVD player has progresive scan but you are still using a standard PAL TV you will still see an interlaced image. most movies are also shot at a speed of 24 frames a second and a process is used to adapt this slower speed to the slighlt faster PAL and much faster NTSC speeds (PAL is best for movies as it is much easier to convert 24 frames to 25 rather then to NTSC 30) called a telesine process. Progresive scanning can undue this process (inverse telesine) and playback the movie at it's original film speed. Movies look realy good like that.

Thats the best as I know how it works. If anything with that description is wrong then someone feel free to correct me. I want to understand it better myself.

Comment

• STEVE1232003
                    • Jan 2003

I'm starting to think there is a problem with my Sony players compatibility
                    I agree, I have seen quite a few Sony players with various compatability problems.

Setarip has a good point though (as always) about the DVD-R preference, Ive also noticed this....

Steve..........

Comment

Working...