X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • helpa
    • Dec 2003

Dazzle DVC 150

Hi,
    I'm using the DVC 150 to transfer my PAL VHS into digital format.
    Originally I was going to use SVCD but as I'm going to delete the original VHS I was wondering what is the best way/format to capture/save for future use (dvd, divx, svcd) ?

And some relevant questions:

What is the bitrate and frame size I need to use - should I use the maximum possible (720x576 and 8Mb ) - even if my target is SVCD?
    Can I use the captured mpeg or do I have to go through the "produce" stage? Is the captured file a regular mpeg2 file - what is done during the produce stage ?
    If I want SVCD should I produce SVCD or produce DVD and then use another app (like tmpgenc) for conversions.

I'm struggling with these issues for some time so any help will be most appreciated!!
  • RNCSerge
    • Jul 2003

Don't use maximum. Capture at MPEG2 352x240 (I think that's the SVCD PAL format) at between 2 mbps and 2.5 mbps. If you have a choice for audio, use MPEG 1 Layer 2 at 192 kbps. The file that comes out is SVCD compliant. Now, run it through a cut/join program to remove any commercials (if any). This won't re-encode, so you have no loss of quality. Now run it through a burning program (Nero if you have it) with the SVCD setting sand it's ready.

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

That capture should be 352X480 (DVD MPEG2 format)(or whatever the PAL equivilent is...352X576?)...352X240 is MPEG1 NTSC format. Did you buy the DVC-150 with the Pinnacle Studio8 package? I have an old one I use all the time. Do you have the DVXCEL Test Utility? I'm not sure how the new Pinnacle system works but it can't be much different. An SVCD is MPEG2 format.

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

check here for Pal and NTSC specifications www.dvdrhelp.com
        in the top left side click on "what is" vcd, svcd, dvd.
        this site will tell you resolution, bitrate, fps, audio spec. etc. for PAL and NTSC
        good luck

Comment

• helpa
          • Dec 2003

Thanks all for your help.
          Just to clarify and make sure I'll get the best quality:

PAL SVCD is 480X576.

I have both the DVXCEL (where I can choose bitrate and size) and Studio MovieStar where they use some predefined templates (Can I find out what is the bitrate they use?).

So my question is:
          Would it be better to capture at maximum possible birate (8Mb) and then convert it (for example using TMPGEnc) to SVCD bitrate?

And the same for frame size: Is there any point in capturing VHS source at 720X576 and then convert to the final resulation?

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

Asking for best quality...it's best to capture at 720X480 (NTSC..use PAL equivelent) at 8000kbps VBR with the DVC-150 (get the best source possible to work with...then you'll reduce that to 480X480(NTSC) when you import the source to the editor software to make the SVCD.) The reason I recommended 352X480 (NTSC) at 2400kbps CBR is It's hard for me to tell the difference ...and the file size is 1/3 that of the faster bitrate. But quality is in the eye of the beholder...and they say the higher bitrate/resolution is better quality.

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

u may try this too, only if u intend to use stand alone dvd player and ur dvd player supports this.......

make 4500 max bitrate mpeg2 file and burn it on cdr. anow if ur dvd player supports iso format mpeg1/2 files it will load and play the file that will be better then 2500 bitrate svcd.

bythe way that what i do cause i dont have dvd burner and my philips dvd player supports plain iso mpeg2 files frm cdr. most philips dvd players supports this. for others check www.dvdrhelp.com
              Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• helpa
                • Dec 2003

Sounds interesting !!

If you meant creating an SVCD then is there any tool that can create an SVCD (image or disc) with mpeg bitrate higher then 2600 ??

If not SVCD how else I can play mpeg2 files on my DVD player (from regular CD's)

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

What software came with your DVC-150? MovieStar or Pinnacle? Either can make a SVCD for you. You can use TMPGenc, too...after you convert the audio from Linear PCM to mp2...TMPGenc doesn't like LPCM audio. Oh...and you want the CAPTURE to be at the best possible quality...when the softwaare compresses during the SVCD creation phase it will compress to SVCD resolution (480X480 NTSC) and whatever bitrate isin it's template. But since you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear...you want the bestt possible source (capture) you can get.
                  Last edited by rsquirell; 20 Dec 2003, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by helpa

If you meant creating an SVCD then is there any tool that can create an SVCD (image or disc) with mpeg bitrate higher then 2600 ??

SVCD is a standard and its max bitrate is 2500.
                    2600 is i guess ur getting with audio rate added. there is no way u can go above that rate of 2500 for svcd.

Originally posted by helpa
                    Sounds interesting !!

If not SVCD how else I can play mpeg2 files on my DVD player (from regular CD's)
                    thats what i said if u need to play mpeg2 files above 2500 bitrate either u need dvd burner or ur dvd player should supports plain mpeg2 files frm CDR.

incase ur dvd player supports that just make a simple iso format data disk and copy ur mpeg2 file and burn. but its video rate should not go above 4500 or the sound will start gettin chopy then the whole video statrts getting jurky round 6000.

NOTE: SVCD quality is pretty decent, dont waste ur time if ur dvd dont support mpeg2 files. if u got anything otherthen philips DVD player 90% chance it wont support mpeg 1/2 file format.

check www.dvdrhelp.com if ur dvd supports the format.

Comment

• rsquirell
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Feb 2003

I picked up a Sylvania VCR/DVD combo at Sam's for $100...it'll play anything.

Comment

• atifsh
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by rsquirell
                        nice..... hope it has good quality too..... try if it play plain mpeg2 at 4500 it will be fun cause u then dont need to burn svcd if u dont hav dvd burner.

i got philips for same price just dvd

Comment

• atifsh
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2003

nice..... hope it has good quality too..... try if it play plain mpeg2 at 4500 it will be fun cause u then dont need to burn svcd if u dont hav dvd burner.

Comment

• rsquirell
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Feb 2003

I haven't tried VCD's or SVCD's but it says it'll do it. It's easy toggling thru my DVD menus and has a 4 head VCR. Might be $10 more at WalMart.

Comment

• atifsh
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2003

Comment

Working...