X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JazX5
    • Jan 2004

Video quality trade off when downloading using Firewire or S-Video

Hi

Is there a video quality trade off when downloading Video from a Camcorder using Firewire 1394 or S-Video
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

Re: Video quality trade off when downloading using Firewire or S-Video

Originally posted by JazX5
    Hi

Is there a video quality trade off when downloading Video from a Camcorder using Firewire 1394 or S-Video
    yes and no......

when u firwire the video u get dv avi thats best quality u can get, but larger file sizes.

but when u go svideo u have 2 options ..... u either go plain avi thats uncompressed very huge file sizes, or some kind of commpression that may or maynot degrade video quality.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

This is a stupid question...but what kind of camcorder do you have. If it's DV (captures on a MiniDVD) then firewire is the only way to keep the DV resolution (720X480). If it captures to 8mm VHS tape you need an external capture device, or an internal capture card. This is where you hook up the "S"Video...and such devices, by design, reduce whatever resolution to 356X240 VHS for in-put. Capturing DV thru "S"Video connected to VHS capture hardware defeats the purpose...and VHS can't be captured thru the firewire.

Comment

• JazX5
        • Jan 2004

I have a Sony PC110, the problem is my Firewire port on my digital Camera has burnt out!! Sony wants $270 to fix it!!

My Video Cam also has the option to download video from my DV Cam (not mini-dv) using S-Video - hence question regarding losing picture quality.

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

The S-Video cable goes to the VHS capture device or card for input at 356X240 (vs. 720X480 thru the firewire) so, yes...quality will be less...but it will still be very good.

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

Originally posted by rsquirell
            The S-Video cable goes to the VHS capture device or card for input at 356X240 (vs. 720X480 thru the firewire) so, yes...quality will be less...but it will still be very good.
            rsquirell, good, decent cards capture at full screen 640/480. better cards do full dv 720/576 or 720/480 (ntsc).

often cards above or like 100 $ capture at full screen or better.

for example http://www.snazzi.com/newsite/pages/...cievongold.asp

this card dont have dv input but still captures at full dv size. (different then mine that has dv also).

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

Ah so....get a Snazzi. The DVC-150 and Canopus external devices claim to be 720X480...but the hardware inputs automatically convert what's fed in to 356X480 VHS resolution (since that's what they expect, being VHS conversion devices.) Since the Snazzi is specifically designed to accept both DV and VHS...I stand corrected.
              Last edited by rsquirell; 5 Jan 2004, 02:56 AM.

Comment

• atifsh
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2003

Originally posted by rsquirell
                Ah so....get a Snazzi. The DVC-150 and Canopus external devices claim to be 720X480...but the hardware inputs automatically convert what's fed in to 356X480 VHS resolution (since that's what they expect, being VHS conversion devices.) Since the Snazzi is specifically designed to accept both DV and VHS...I stand corrected.
                cant say bout dvc-150 or the canopus..... but iv checked some really low cheep tv tuners that support caprturing though just avi but still can do 640/480.

[bythe way not arguing here , incase it seems one]

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                  • Sep 2003

my cheap-o crap $40 ATI TV Wonder VE caps at full 720x480 but only with custom drivers. I think it has more to do with limitations of drivers manufactures give you with there cards and the chipsets on pretty much all cards support full 720x480. I would think they would have to to be fully compatable with the TV specifications (NTSC in my case)

The standard ATI TV Wonder caps at full reselution right out of the box but it costs alot more then the VE. The only phisical diffrence between the 2 cards I have see is the lack of the S-VHS port on my VE. However whats realy odd is with the custom hacked drivers I use the S-VHS port IS detected so therteicly I could probly solder on an S-VHS port (the place for it is still on the PCB) and it'll liley work. My best guess is ATI crippled the drivers so as to not cripple the sales on the much more expensive standard card.

Oh my card dosnt acctualy cap at a max of 720x480. it realy has a max of 754x480 but that just causes some wierd green lines on the right side so I stick with 720x480
                  Last edited by GeneralLeoFF; 5 Jan 2004, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...