Are there different DVD blanks for Video or Data?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuneo
    • Jan 2004

Are there different DVD blanks for Video or Data?

Hi Gang;

Just joined the site.

I've been Burnin DVD's for about a month now,and have bought different batches of DVD blanks.

Overheard a salesdude saying to a customer "those blanks aren't good for video-only data".

Realize there are cheaper,and more expensive DVD blanks out there-BUT is there a Data vs Video connection/difference????

Thanks for any input.

Chris
  • GeneralLeoFF
    • Sep 2003

I dont think theres a diffrence at all. video in itself IS data. a DVD VOB file is a file just like any other file you can burn on the disc.

Perhaps the salesdude was expresing an opinion about a perticuler brand that he fond was not ideal for creating movies as not all brands of blanks are equil in quality.

Comment

• kuneo
      • Jan 2004

Thats indeed what I thought-Bits is Bits

Just wanted to Float the question out there to see if there was any merit to the idea-other than cheap vs expensive (name brand) DVD blanks.

The expensive TDK DVD blanks I own are better build quality than the cheaper competition (I also own),but if the data (be it video or data) transfers regardless than the cheaper disc's are the bargains.

I've heard the name "Princo" thrown around,and i'm sure there is some very low quality material around that creates issues with many burner's,but compatability sometimes means the Burner's are not Firmware Upgraded to allow their use.

I recently Flashed my burner firmware,and it allowed recognition of blanks that were "denied" previously.

Thanks General.

CC

Comment

• nyar
        • Jan 2004

Dude, he's a salesman - he's clueless He probably /does/ think that you need different discs for video or data. I've heard the same argument with audio CD's - all the difference is that the actual media itself is usually of a higher quality, and doesn't get scratched as easily, etc.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
          • Sep 2003

yea they acctualy did market blanks for Audio spacificly back in the day and I thin that caused some confusion. Those disc are of a better grade then the standard discs and thats what I used all the time even if it wasnt audio.

Things I look for in a blank CD is if the top lable is fully painted. If the top is blank and just that silver surface they tend to scratch easy (scratching the top of a CD can be FAR worse then scratching the bottom). A full painted on label tends to mean a quality disc most of the time. There is of course more to it then that but it;s a good way of thinking about it as far as i'm concerned

Oh and stay away from PNY's

Comment

Working...