Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dfpete
    • Jan 2004

Unable to play on DVD Recorder

I am unable to play a movie recorded on DVD+RW Disk on my Panasonic DVD Player.
    Last edited by dfpete; 7 Jan 2004, 01:13 PM.
  • redvanman
    • Jan 2004

Quite possible that your Panasonic doesn't like copies or the format of the copied video. I have a copied video that plays on my dvd player but wont play on mother's.

Comment

• sfheath
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Sep 2003

not sure what's going on here - was the RW recorded on a standalone DVD Recorder and refuses to play back?
      This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• bigtoe_rudy
        • Jan 2004

Compatible

I have a E80H Panasonic and the reason my +RW doesn't play on my recorder is the pansonic only supports dvd-r and dvd-ram discs. Therefore a +rw disc wouldn't be compatible even though its a dvd-video. It doesn't reconize the disc.

Comment

• Tunesman22
          • Oct 2003

I know I'm a bit late on a reply to this, considering the date it was first posted, but I was going to say that I too found out the hard way that my Panasonic dvd recorder decks only record on and play certain types of dvd formats, such as dvd-ram, dvd-r, but not dvd-rw. Those dvd-rw discs only play on other brands, such as Philips, Pioneer and Sony etc.

Tunesman22.

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

Hi Tunesman22, are we talking about the standalone recorder? I'd be surprised and rather disappointed that it doesn't run RWs. Have you a) checked the specs and b) tried maybe another brand?

Comment

• Tunesman22
              • Oct 2003

I have four Panasonic dvd recorder decks, three of which record and play dvd discs and one, which is the HS-2 with a 40 gig hard drive as well as a disc recorder. None of my units will record onto a dvd-rw or a dvd+rw, they will only record on or play dvd-ram discs or record on or play dvd-r discs. I tried to record on a dvd+rw when I bought my first one, and my unit refused to record on it and it said that the disc is a "non-recordable disc." I don't know if I could play a dvd+rw that was recorded on a different brand of recorder, but I doubt it.

Tunesman22.

Comment

• sfheath
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Sep 2003

Does the specification not list RW?
                Have you tried another brand?

Comment

• Tunesman22
                  • Oct 2003

Another brand? Do you mean another brand of dvd-rw disc, or another brand of dvd recorder deck? I know for a fact that none of my Panasonic decks will play or record on that type of disc because when I took back the dvd-rw blank disc to Best Buy for an exchange, the salesman told me that my Panasonic decks only play or record on dvd-ram or dvd-rs. I'm sure that the specifications for my recorder deck say the same.

Tunesman22.

Comment

• sfheath
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Sep 2003

Hmm, sorry about that Tunesman. I was refering to brand of media thinking it was simply media incompatibility but checking the Panasonic web site they indeed do not list RW
                    With luck this may be upgradeable with firmware at some stage.

Interesting to note that Philips do list RW for their DVD Recorders.

Comment

• Tunesman22
                      • Oct 2003

No problem sfheath. It's not like I don't have any media to record on, as long as they continue to make dvd-ram discs and dvd-r discs. It's kind of like the old competition between the old camcorder style tapes, where you could either get vhs-c, vhs, 8mm, Hi8 and so on.
                      I really don't see the difference in these different type of discs anyway. I don't think dvd-rw or dvd+rw are really any different than dvd-ram. I'm sure they still record the same, they're just different types of discs. I haven't heard where one type of disc records better than the other, just that different brands of dvd recorder decks use different types of discs. This I'm sure just adds to the confusion of the consumer, who probably wishes they'd all just use the same type of disc.

Tunesman22.

Comment

• sfheath
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Tunesman22
                        No problem sfheath. It's not like I don't have any media to record on, as long as they continue to make dvd-ram discs and dvd-r discs. It's kind of like the old competition between the old camcorder style tapes, where you could either get vhs-c, vhs, 8mm, Hi8 and so on.
                        I really don't see the difference in these different type of discs anyway. I don't think dvd-rw or dvd+rw are really any different than dvd-ram. I'm sure they still record the same, they're just different types of discs. I haven't heard where one type of disc records better than the other, just that different brands of dvd recorder decks use different types of discs. This I'm sure just adds to the confusion of the consumer, who probably wishes they'd all just use the same type of disc.

Tunesman22.
                        Couldn't agree more!

Comment

Working...