Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Absturzius
    • Jan 2004

Can an AVI file be too large to burn?

Hi. I knitted homevideo avi´s together to make a file 4.3Gb large (using Virtualdub both for capture and joining) but when I burn the file Nero (6something) behaves as if successfully completed although the dvdr only contains an unknown file 242Mb large. Gone through the procedure twice (including successful simulation) with exact same result..

Is this a Nero thing or is there a maximum size for avi´s that can be successfully burnt. Would it work if I split the 4.3Gb into 2X2.15Gb files for example?

I have over 60Gb´s worth of family-outings and kids birthday´s hogging my harddrive so I´d love any advice on this.

WinXP
    P4 2.4
    Inf. 512
    Plextor708A

Thanks

Absturzius.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Your .AVI files have to first be converted to DVD-compliant MPEG2 files before you can successfully burn as standard DVDs. Such files are compressed FAR LESS than DivX-compressed (or XviD-compressed) .AVIs - which probably partially accounts for the results you've obtained by trying to use NERO directly for the conversion.

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Absturzius
      • Jan 2004

Great reply setarip, thanks.

Not sure if I explained myself accurately and not sure if I wont misinterpret your rely because of this so I try to explain exactly what I did and hope you´ll get back to me.

OK, like I said-Homevideos. Taken on an Hi8(analog) camcorder,

used Virtualdub with Divx 5.02codec to get them on my harddrive.

I now have ca. 30 files at about 2Gb @90min.

Before actually "using" ie, editing the films I planned to simply transfer them onto DVD´s to keep as the "originals" without any further compressing or anything. I just wanted to split and join them into neat a size for dvd then "make a data disc".

Jast reread your post and you said
      "1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant ..........."
      so I assume you do mean I should convert to MPEG2......hm.
      I thought I could just do a 1to1 copy to dvd....Would this mean a reduction of quality?

Well anyway would be good if you´d let me know if your advice is still correct then I´ll get down to it.

By the way, is there a better way to transfer analog video onto the HD without buying hardware?

Comment

• dsf
        • Jan 2004

Why do you want one file so large. Why not use whatever video editor you are using to break up this huge file into smaller files and import them as movies (chapters) into your DVD editor (if its different from your video editor.) Any DVD authoring program can be set to play the files one after the other so you will see the movie as one continuous movie if you want to see it that way. I dont think it matters whether you convert your files to MPG beforehand or not, as any DVD authoring program will do that automatically if the files are not DVD-ready (although it may take a LONG time). I use Nero 5.0 and it makes DVDs okay by me but I have never tried such an enormously long file.

Comment

• Absturzius
          • Jan 2004

At this stage all I want to do is get them off my harddrive.
          I intend to make chapters and edit them one after the other directly from the dvd´s to make the end film and keeping the originals as a back-up and for future projects.
          They are so large simply for neatness sake.

I guess I´ll split them into ca. 1Gb file size and see if that works.

Absturzius

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

um, not sure cos Nero doesn't 'see' my burner but if you merely wanted to save in data mode are you sure you set Nero for data rather than video?
            XP should handle your file

Come to think of it, if you're only working in data mode why not use XP to write it and leave out Nero?
            Last edited by sfheath; 13 Jan 2004, 02:10 AM.
            This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Absturzius
              • Jan 2004

If you mean did I hit the button for make a data disc as opposed to make a dvd/svcd/image then yes I did. Twice even.

What I dont get is why did nero just burn 242Mb´s. I mean usually it´s all or nothing with these things.

I have your nero problem with XP in that it doesen´t recognize my burner.

Well anyway, I split the first file into 1hour segments and did as setarip suggested and converted the first file into mpg2 which worked without any apparent loss in quality and even made the file a third smaller which I´m pleased about. Trouble is it took nearly 2 hours which means I´ll have to leave the pc running over quite a few nights.

I want to edit them with Pinnacle studio 8. I did a test "load" of the mpg2 and it froze during the scene recognition. This sort of thing I want to avoid. Guess I´ll try a few times and see what happens.

Absturzius

Did a reload with Pinnacle and it took it. Anyone know if there´s a limit to the size of movies you can edit with Pinnacle Studio 8?
              Last edited by Absturzius; 13 Jan 2004, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Working...