Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jayman5500
    • Jan 2004

Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

I have been getting an error when trying to copy a VCD.

Error: Data Error (CRC)

I have tried 3 or 4 VCD and same thing. I have made sure the disks were cleaned and I even reloaded my compute (but that is a different story). I have also tried to copy the files from a CMD Does anyone have any suggestions????

Thanks
    \\Jayman
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Are these commercial VCDs or homebrewn VCDs?

2) What method(s) are you using to try to copy them?

Comment

• Jayman5500
      • Jan 2004

I bought them when I went to the Philippines. I was able to copy 3 other movies that I bought. I just want to make a copy.

Copy and Paste & DOS

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Try using a burning program, such as NERO...

Comment

• Jayman5500
          • Jan 2004

I tride burning it with Nero and still does not want to do anything. It stops with Nero at 88%.

Comment

• Jayman5500
            • Jan 2004

Due you also know how to play .bin or .cue files......?

Thnx

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
              It Was The Dog, I Swear!
              • Nov 2003

cyclic rundundancy check. It's (most likely) due to a data transfer speed problem.

It's causes can be many different factors, such as using low speed RW disks with a high speed drive, programs running in the backround while burning the disk, low memory, slow or fragmented source drive, etc., but sometimes paying a bit more for your blank disks (change brands) can solve the problem.

It basically means the data on the disk wasn't burned correctly, or some of it cannot be read.

Can be that the memory buffer is being refilled with data, but the data is overlapped by data that has already been sent to the disk being burned, if that makes any sense.

I had this problem time and time again in the past. It got better by changing blank disk brands, but only stopped when I got a newer, faster CD burner, used disks with a speed rating higher up in the compatable speed range, and changed my burning software. (to Easy CD creator)

With your current setup, (I really don't know what that is) I would try using CNTRL+ALT+DEL to close any unecessary programs, and/or use a 3rd party memory manager to free up real ram just prior to burning the CD. I have a theory that this problem can be at least partially blamed on the data being sent to the swap file (virtual memory) before being sent to the burning medium, but who knows.

cyclic redundancy can happen when reading disks after an apparently good burn. if that happens, hold the disk up to a bright light source and see if there's a pinhole of light comming through. (damaged disk) That problem is common with some brands of CD RW. (Fujifilm = Garbage) Also, don't use those damn old disks with a blue recording surface. Don't buy cheap ass CD's.

I know, not much help. You'll have to try different things 'till you get better results.

I suggest most of all, have a well-defragmented hard drive with plenty of free space. Use your software to create an ISO image of the source disk, placing the ISO image on the HD.

Make your burning software use that image on the HD to create the new CD. The HD has a faster data transfer speed. Best to use this method if your source CD drive is slow. (less than 52X)

Also, go into device manager(right click my computer, select properties) and make sure that you have enabled DMA (direct memory access) for the CD drives on your PC.

That will allow your cd drive(s), if your setup is modern enough, to bypass the processor, improving data transfer speed in the event that you have plenty of ram.
              My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

Have you tried Dvddecrypter v. 3.1.9. and set the device read speed to 2X or 1X. If you are using a dvd burner, try reading the discs @ 2X or 1X.

I have solved this problem many times by simply reducing the read speed to 2X. Dvddecrypter also burns vcd's though not much has been said about this. You can rip in all files mode and use 'Shrink to put several vcd's onto 1 DVD.

I have a lot of Asian movies on DVD and also some vcd's, this method (slow read speed) has worked on even those discs which the un-aided eye can discern as of defective manufacture. If the discs aren't physically dirty, try the slow read speed method.
                Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                  It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                  • Nov 2003

Yes! first thing that should be tried. REDUCE BURNING SPEED.

Even though a disk may be rated multispeed up to 52X I found that none of them are very reliable at that fast speed. I burn 48X disks at a max speed of 32X. Depending on the brand, they may work out even better if burned at 24X.

DVD, CD, whatever. Try making a habit of burning the disk slower than it's stated rating. Seems to work better.

At any rate, a slower read speed can help with ripping audio CD's on drives using a digital extraction method so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be the same for DVD's. I mean, if you are doing 100mph down the highway, you're going to miss some details that you will not miss if you are going half that speed.

If the "generation gap" between your reader and your media is too great, you are probably going to have trouble regardless of read/write speed.

good luck
                  Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 21 Feb 2004, 11:28 AM.
                  My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Jan 2004

"?"
                    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                      • Nov 2003

In reply to "?"

I say "?"
                      My toy:

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Jan 2004

[

QUOTE]Originally posted by Jayman5500
                        Due you also know how to play .bin or .cue files......?
                        thnx
                        [/QUOTE]

" ? ".

"...DVDDecrypter also burns vcd's...".

DVDDecrypter also has BIN ,Cue files associations in its registry.
                        Rig :

Comment

Working...