Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • webtekie
    • Jan 2004

dv newbie

Just got my TRV950 and took some videos. Burned mpeg onto a VCD and have some question. Video looks very good, but I do see some kind of pixalation around some parts of the video. What is that I how do I get rid of it?

thanks,
    webtekie
  • otherside2k3
    • Jan 2004

i assume TRV950 is a camcorder, can you be more specific about what king of camcorder is how did you convert it and burned it ?

Comment

• webtekie
      • Jan 2004

Yes, it's a Sony TRV950. I just captured it thru Adaptec 4300 FireWire into Sonic Foundry Vegas Video 4.0. From there after editting everything I saved it as .mpg file and burned it as VCD.

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

Pixcellation on capture often comes from capturing at too high a bit rate. Try knocking it back 1000kbps. I also saw someone say he solved his pixcellation problem by changing interlace to deinterlace (or vice versa). He was using your camera capturing to ULead VS7.

Comment

• webtekie
          • Jan 2004

thanks. But I get pixalation even if I import jpeg from Photoshop and use it a frame.
          Here is an example: www.webmacaco.com/video/intro.mpg

webtekie

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

So you don't get pixcellation on capture...only when burned to disc...what software are you using? (BTW...I looked all over your clip for pixcellation (image breaking down into digital blocks) and didn't see any...I was viewing in the QuickTime viewer small screen...did I miss something?

Comment

• webtekie
              • Jan 2004

I used Adobe Premiere to save as mpeg and Nero to burn. If you pause when image is just loading (right before the giggling) you'll se I guess it's not pixalation but sort of artifact around where it says Lazy Cat Films and Anamo Productions. It's just not sharp, there is that artifact all around.

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

I just installed Real Player to do some .rm conversions...and when I opened your file originally a box popped up saying the mime association had been changed and asked if I wanted to use the original association...I said yes, and a small Quicktime viewer is all I can see it on now. It looks pretty clean on the small screen, but a couple of times I thought I saw a ghost image just above the Anamo Productions like a shadow of the title (could have been my eyes playing tricks on me from staring.) Is that what you're talking about? In TMPGenc there's a "ghost reduction" setting.

Comment

• webtekie
                  • Jan 2004

Well on a small it look pretty good, but if you resize the screen a little bigger you will see more ghosting. On TV it looks even more noticable. So this is called ghosting...What is TMPGenc? Sorry, but this litteraly my second day with digital videos.
                  Are there some docs I should read up on?

thanks,
                  webtekie

Comment

• rsquirell
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Feb 2003

Well your logo looks pretty good for your second day. TMPGenc Plus can be downloaded from the download section of this site...it's a pretty useful tool...get the 30 free trial...you'll find "ghost reduction" in the "settings area under the "advanced" tab. There should be a number of articles on how to use TMPGenc in www.dvdrhelp.com

Comment

• webtekie
                      • Jan 2004

thanks rsquirell, I'll try it, report on success...

Comment

• rsquirell
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Feb 2003

It may be more effective to have TMPGenc convert the AVI rather than the MPEG from Premiere (your artifact may have been caused by Premiere when you converted to .mpg in the first place.)

Comment

• webtekie
                          • Jan 2004

ok I used TMPGenc to convert original avi file to mpeg with ghost reduction and other settings and it looks much better. I think I do see some ghosting but then again may be I just want to see it. The real test will be once I burn this and see it on TV.

Comment

• webtekie
                            • Jan 2004

One more thing. If I increase bitrate on TMPGenc will it make my video look much better? And how do I change these settings in TMPGenc, it seems they are grayed out.

Comment

• rsquirell
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Feb 2003

Things will change on the "General" screen if you "Load" a different template. VBR takes twice as long to encode because the film is first analyzed thoroughly, best bitrate for each section assigned...and the film encoded. CBR is constant...and in fast action scenes you may see blurring. CQ (Constant Quality) analyzes the film on the fly and applies the best bitrate...and is about as fast as CBR...probably the best comprimise (especially if you're coding a 2 hour movie.) But for your short intro vid VBR may be best. It's easiest to select VBR by just going through the Wizard...everything's loaded for you...and you may not need "Ghost Reduction" using TMPGenc to convert the AVI...the ghost probably came from the Premiere encoding.

Comment

Working...