Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toeth
    • Dec 2003

Problems after finalizing a DVD

Last night I had finished a 6 hour slp DVD, finalized it, and when I went to look it over, the bottom half of the menu where a number of chapters once were, now said 55% free.

It appears the DVD wasn't completely finalized, it "finalized" faster than usual. And when I pushed the edit button on my remote for the recorder, the finalize option is still selectable, I ran the finalize about 2 more times, no luck.

I tried playing the disc in a standard DVD player, wouldn't even start, popped it back out. At this point, I don't know if it's the player or the DVD+R brand I used.

Is there any explaination or anything I can do to fix this DVD or is it a goner?

Thanks.
  • Tunesman22
    • Oct 2003

Your problem is typical with DVDs. If it didn't completely finalize, then I'm afraid your DVD is probably not much better than a frisbe.
    If they act the same way as CDs, and I'm pretty sure they do, if they didn't get finalized right the first time, then you might as well throw it away. Do you still have your original material that you were originally burning to your DVD? If you do, then you can still try to burn your material on a fresh DVD. If the problem happens again, then you might start looking at your machine for the source of your problem.

Tunesman22.

Comment

• toeth
      • Dec 2003

Thanks for the reply.

Thankfully I have all the material still on VHS that I had put on that DVD.

A small part of the dud DVD still plays, but only in the DVD recorder, not in a normal player. So it might be good for that reason, lol.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

toeth,

I'm not an expert here, but is your standalone capable of playing that type of phyical dvd ( DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW ). Something seems wrong with the media type?
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Tunesman22
          • Oct 2003

I'm not an expert at this either but if you try using a DVD-R, unless that's what you were talking about in the first place, you might have better luck. Whenever I want to make a permanent dvd of something, my Panasonic dvd recorders only use DVD-Rs. DVD+Rs I would imagine can only be used in certain brands of dvd recorder decks, but not mine. If your dvd recorder deck can record on DVD-Rs, check it out to see if that might work better for you.

Tunesman22.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

toeth,

try looking @ spec.'s of standalone to verify will play that type of media. Sometimes when I have a dvd that won't play, I make a back-up from that disc that will play.
            Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Tunesman22
              • Oct 2003

It's always wise to keep your original material at least until you know you've got a copy that's been burned alright, and will play okay in most dvd players or computers. If I've taped a video and I want to edit it and then burn it to dvd, and it comes out alright on the dvd, I don't see any reason to keep the original material on tape or what ever, because otherwise you'd run out of room having two copies of everything either on your computer or camcorder tape etc.

Tunesman22.

Comment

Working...