Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeP
    • Jan 2004

Viewing a Region 2 DVD by Burning it to Region 1

I have a Region 2 DVD, it's a concert that I want my backup singers to view on their home dvd players (region 1).
    They don't have dvd roms on their computers. I burn successfully dvd movies using dvd shrink then burning it on Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator software. But when I use dvd shrink & set it to 'All Regions' it still won't play on a region 1 home dvd player.
    How can I burn a region 2 disc so it will play on region 1 players that are not computer dvd rom but home players?
    Thanks,
    Joe P.
  • Feurwehr
    • Jan 2004

Joe,
    I have backed up a number of my region 2 DVD's using Shrink, and they all have played without a hitch on region 1 players. The all region setting means is just what it says....the DVD will play on all regions.
    Since most Region 2 DVD's are PAL naturally they will still not play on a Region 1 player when backed up by shrink if the player is NTSC only. Therefore, the Region 1 DVD player must be PAL compatible or you must convert your video to NTSC before distributing it.
    Good Luck!
    Jim

Comment

• JoeP
      • Jan 2004

Thanks for getting back to me, That's my problem, I need to convert the DVD to NTSC, & I don't know how to do it without going through a lot of expense. If you have any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.
      Thanks Again, Joe

Comment

• Feurwehr
        • Jan 2004

Joe,
        Try this: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/convert#41
        Also do a search at dvdrhelp.com in the forums section and you will find that standards conversion techniques are covered extensively. The software required for converting is mostly freeware, but there are usually a number of steps involved.
        Also there is conversion software you can download for around $20 to $30 that will also do the job, but you will probably need to convert your DVD vob's to AVI first.
        If you are just starting out the methods outlined may seem complicated, but they really are not if you follow the guidelines step-by-step.
        Good Luck!
        JIm
        Last edited by Feurwehr; 30 Jan 2004, 03:58 AM.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jan 2004

PAL to NTSC conversion (without commercial software ~ $200.00 and up) is intensive. If I remember correctly, there was/is a cheap back-up software which converts PAL to NTSC, but contains a ripped-off freeware, you may want to sleuth the internet, if the price sounds too cheap. Region 2 is sometimes NTSC (Japan).

If your DVD player will play the disc and you have clear video and audio out, you could try the old method of vhs back-ups. You could download Smartripper v. 2.41 which will identify whether disc is NTSC or Pal (your post(s) was/were unclear if format was/is the problem).
          Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...