Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jbtn9
    • Jan 2004

TMPGENC and NERO file size too large

I am trying to make my first DVD from my Sony miniDV camera. I captured the one hour video using Pinnacle. Saved the AVI file (about 15G) to hard drive. I first used Pinnacle to encode but the sound was screwed and the video looked crappy. Did a lot of reading and downloaded TMPGENC for eval. Used it to encode and it took 60hrs. I had all of the settings too high. Anyway, I followed someones instructions and set it to do 2 pass VBR and then set the average bit rate so that it would consume 95% of the 4.7G on the DVD. I actually could only go to about 90% since my video was just one hour long. After waiting for the file creation I found the .mpg file and it was about 3.7G. That sounds good and should have no problems fitting on a DVD. I loaded this mpg into Nero Vision. However, when I did this it said that I was using 4.29G out of 4.38G (don't know why this latter number is not 4.7G because my DVD is empty). Anyway, I thought that would not be a problem. Created my chapters and now it said that it was using 4.30G out of 4.38G. Still thought no problem. After it transcoded in the burning process it popped my DVD out and said there was not enough room on that disc. I have tried both a -R and a -RW disc with same results. I removed all chapter info and got the same result. Why can't I fit a 3.7G mpg onto a DVD? Sorry for the long post but lots of information. Oh yeah, my machine is Win XP 2.4G Celeron w/ 128Mb RAM.
  • jbtn9
    • Jan 2004

Well, no one is answering me. I will update. Last night I downloaded TMPGENC Author as trial version. I used it to creat the VOB's. It did not increase the size from 3.8G to 4.3G like Nero had done. I then used TMPGENC to burn and now I have my first DVD. Looks good but I would like to have more options for the menu like Nero has. The only thing I can think is that Nero is trying to encode the file again and making it bigger. Can anyone add knowledge?

Thanks,

Comment

• ormonde
      Digital Video Explorer
      • Dec 2003

To jbtn9:

Sorry no one has attempted to reply to your post in almost a month so I will give it a try.

"The only thing I can think is that Nero is trying to encode the file again and making it bigger. Can anyone add knowledge?"

"TMPEnc DVD Author's menu functionality is a bit limited (you can customize some things to a degree). However, you did seem to indicate that you had success using the program. When you finished burning in Author, did your disk play without problems on a standalone player? Did the menus work? I'm not very familiar with NeroVision, so I can't offer any assistance there, but as an alternative, DVD Lab may also offer greater functionality regarding menus over TMPEnc DVD Author.

Comment

Working...