Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gazfairclough
    • Feb 2004

how much full quality on dvd

Sorry but I'am new to this, I started off using dvd shrink 2.3 with no problems but now I can only fit 1 hour and 20 minutes of full quality film onto the blank disk, I'am sure that when I started I could fit about 1 hour 50 mins onto a blanks disk.

Can Anyone help,
    Thanks
    regards Gaz
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

Just exactly what do you consider full quality? Are you ripping a DVD with shrink at no compression (a level 4, 20% compression is hard to tell from the original), are you trying to burn an MPEG2 made from a high quality DV Camera, have downloaded a HDTV file? You should be able to get a 2 hour movie on a DVD with very little compression unless...

Comment

• gazfairclough
      • Feb 2004

Their normal dvd's which i'am backing up and I'am using re-author to keep just the film. After using re-author the file size is 5,124 MB but the length of the film is only 01h 20m 45s. I\am sure when I first started using dvd shrink a month ago I could get about 1 hour 50 min with no compression from a dvd film.
      please help.
      regards gaz.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Jan 2004

Firstly, If you are wanting better video quality of movie which are to be compressed, update to DVDShrink v. 3. 0 Beta 5 and also v. 3.1.4 ?.

Not much of a learning curve if you visit the easy to understand tutorial @ dvdshrink.info (ddlooping's guide). You'll be 'Shrinking with better quality if you check the deep analysis option with these versions (takes longer but better video quality).

Advice is to practice with v. 3. 0 Beta 5 as some learn v. 3.1.4 easier that way.

Lastly, the length of the movie has little to do with the size on store-bought dvd movies as newer movies of only 1 1/2 hours are sometimes 5.5 Gig.s

With the deep analysis, there is very little difference in 'Shrink results and original. Version 3.1.4. is slightly better than 3. 0 Beta 5, so why I said "practice", earlier.
        Last edited by Quality's Proof; 6 Feb 2004, 06:51 PM.
        Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• gazfairclough
          • Feb 2004

Thanks alot thats what I didnt understand I didnt realise a film could still use 5.5gigs with only 1 1/2 of film.
          thanks
          regards gaz

Comment

• Quality's Proof
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Jan 2004

Gaz, you are welcome.
            Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

Working...